restore old guns

rough shoot

I HAVE TWO OLD ENGLISH SIDE BY SIDE HAMMER GUNS 1. H CLARKE AND SON THE OTHER A W.R PAPE BOTH I THINK WOULD BE WORTH RESTORING DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF A GOOD GUNSMITH TO GET THE BARRELS BROWNED AND THE REST OF THE GUNS CHECKED OVER.

LOOKING FOR SOMEONE IN THE NORTH EAST AS I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO THEM RATHER THAN SENDING THEM AWAY .

your description suggests Damascus Barrels? ... Your first steps going to be a check of the state of Proof in the barrels.

A friend was looking to get some work done on a Damascus gun and one firm that was recommended several times for 'rescuing' older guns was Elderkins of Spalding: a bit far South perhaps?

The old adage when buying shotguns like this is "buy the barrels".

If they are out of proof or pitted badly the guns might not worth repairing.

All the best with them, It must be nice shooting you have put time and effort into.

Sorry just realised seeker has already made this point!! :blush:

Edited by Daveo26

I've not used him but a gun maker in Sedgfield called John Foster (01740) 631110 was recomended to me recently.

Interestingly I was told he has the only apprentice gunmaker currently in the UK? Quite sad if it's true.

I'm going to ring him shortly to see about getting thebarrels on my hammer gun re-finnished.

CHEERS LADS CLARKE HAS DAMMASCUS BARRELS AND ARE PROOFED FOR BLACK POWDER I HAVE USED THIS GUN AND IT SHOOTS LIKE A TRUE CLASSIC I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE BARRELS BROWNED I DONT KNOW IF ITS WORTH GETTING THE BARRELS SLEAVED?

THE REST OF THE GUN SEEMS FINE AND ORIGINAL

THE PAPE IVE JUST BOUGH THIS WEEKEND, IT IS A HAMMER GUN BUT THE BARRELS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND ARE STAMPED NITRO PROOFED BUT THEY ARE OLD SO I THINK NEED TO BE CHECKED ANYONE LOCAL PLEASE

CHEERS LADS CLARKE HAS DAMMASCUS BARRELS AND ARE PROOFED FOR BLACK POWDER I HAVE USED THIS GUN AND IT SHOOTS LIKE A TRUE CLASSIC I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE BARRELS BROWNED I DONT KNOW IF ITS WORTH GETTING THE BARRELS SLEAVED?

THE REST OF THE GUN SEEMS FINE AND ORIGINAL

THE PAPE IVE JUST BOUGH THIS WEEKEND, IT IS A HAMMER GUN BUT THE BARRELS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND ARE STAMPED NITRO PROOFED BUT THEY ARE OLD SO I THINK NEED TO BE CHECKED ANYONE LOCAL PLEASE

Getting a gun sleeved is big money, approx 800 quid i beleive