Homade flapper V's magnet

ditchman

40 odd years ago i used to sit in a hide with a local farm worker shooting pigeons for the pot, he put out half a dozen wooden decoys with a blacksmith made flapper...he never failed to pull the birds in.

40 years on i have managed to reproduce the flapper after several attempts...and i have used it about 8 or 9 times......i am amazed at what it does, pigeons that normally are flying "on a mission" at 2-300yds away i can turn by giving 2-4 quick tugs on the machine ..then you see the bird turn and start on a long loop around where im set up and then commit themselves to a flypast.....the most difficult part is knowing how much flapping to do and the type of movement needed to interest the bird...too much and the bird is spooked and not enough and it looses interest. The word is FIELDCRAFT.

Question; How do you boys (and girls) view and use your flappers ?

Ditchman

I've just finished making a home made flapper using a kiddies "flying bat" (given to me by Denny Essex) toy and using the toy with some modifications set in a shell decoy. Only used it once last week but was a really quiete day, so can't say how good or bad it was. Used Denny's one a couple of weeks ago with great success though.

Any chance of a picture?