Scope advice again

njc110381

Right chaps, I'm looking into low mag scopes for my combi gun. As before I'd like to shoot it with open sights, but I'd like the option of a low mag quick release scope for it too. I can't afford a S&B, Zeiss etc so I'm looking at going cheaper. I need some advice on what's good! I think the best way is to list them with my opinion, then you can just point out your favourite and put me right!

1. Simmons 8 point 1.5-5x32. Retails at about £80, Ramsbottoms has them for £30 ATM. I was considering it, but deep down I know the answer to this question already!

2. Barska Huntmaster pro 1.5-6x42. Found one for £75. I've heard of Barska but can't remember whether it was good or bad. Don't know about this one?

3. MTC Mamba 1.5-6x42 Illuminated. These are about £120. I know MTC are rated as reasonable so this is a serious contender.

4. Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4x32. Again about £120. My Vortex Viper binoculars are very good for the cost - nearly as good as my mates Swarovski! I'm seriously considering this one too.

5. Pentax Gameseeker 1.5-6x40. About £135. Well Pentax cameras are good so the optics should be clear. Didn't even know they made scopes! Nice crosshair.

6. Swift Premier 1.5-4.5x32. About £150. Getting towards the top end of my budget with this one. I've heard of Swift but again can't remember good or bad!

Deep down I'm set between the MTC, Pentax and the Swift because they have a nice crosshair. I'd like the Vortex but it has a weird reticule! The MTC is longer and has a 30mm tube so I'd have to buy new mounts. The Swift or Pentax look to be favourite but I'm open to advice (or rather looking for it!).

with the way you change guns its unlikely to be a keeper Nick :good:

try the £30 one to see if you can shoot it with a scope on for starters then if it works out get a decent one when finances allow and bung this one on egay

Edited by al4x

with the way you change guns its unlikely to be a keeper Nick :good:

OI! I'm not that bad! :good:

This combi gun has been the biggest load of grief I've ever had. Try finding one! Once you have one try getting ammo for it. Now I'm getting sorted this thing's going to rust away in my hands. There's no way I'm going to sell it after all this! And, more to the point, it's a bloody great idea having two guns in one. I'm hoping that if I scope it I could use it right out to 200 yards, which is my comfortable limit on Deer.

MTC for me. Very clear optics and the SCB ret is good too. AFAIK they come with mounts. Although they are bringing out the Mamba Lite soon (doesn't have IR and has a 1" body), you could also look at the MTC Cobra 3-9x42, just keep it on 3x? Or does it need to be as lower mag as possible?

Mag needs to be as near to 1x as possible for the shotgun aspect.

Recoil wise the 7x57r is supposed to be quite mild due to the low pressure and velocity of the rimmed case. It's designed to be gentle on the delicate locks on drillings and combi guns. You are probably right though, a really cheap scope could well crumble! Maybe the MTC is the answer? I just don't know! My mates Burris is OK on his .308.