CZ 527 or Howa 1500 varmint

Rossi46

Hi lads,

I am looking to buy my first centerfire in .223, I have got my rifle choice down to a cz 527 laminate or a howa 1500 varmint stainless both the for same price.

The rifles will be used for foxing and I don't plan to do any range shooting.

I was just after your thoughts on the above rifles, any good or bad things about them?

Also I just wanted to say what a great forum this is, I don't really post much on the forum but spend ages reading other peoples topics as I find most things I need know using the search facility. When I first joined the forum I owned a air rifle, now I own two rimfires, a shotgun, have 4 ferrets and just about to buy my first centerfire thanks to people's help and advise.

Thanks again everyone

Lee

Had a CZ527 in 223, it shot very well for very little work done to it.

i have a Howa 1500 in 243 and it shoots better but has needed a lot of work on the stock.

there is a nice Howa 223 in the sales section, that i keep looking at to buy.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=102409

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=104098

Edited by markbivvy

I have had a Howa in .243 for the last year and think it is a great rifle, the only thing that I prefer on my Sako 85 is the detachable mag. I spoke to the Howa importer and they are going to offer a detachable mag as an option from early next year, I will be converting my rifle asap!

The CZ does indeed have a 1:9 twist, and is lighter than the Howa.

It has a detachable magazine, and a trigger the Howa can only dream of. NB, you will need to set up either trigger, and the CZ's is much better to work with.

I have a CZ in 223, and a Howa in 243 (and have had a Howa in 223 and 204, too).

The Howas are good guns, CZ's better. My CZ shoots .3" groups with the right ammo @ 100y, is lightweight, well balanced and cost all of £400 about a year ago.

The Varmint Laminate version has a lighter barrel than the Howa, and will give you excellent accuracy - every CZ I've ever had or shot has done. You won't go wrong with one. (and if by some horrible happening you get the only CZ lemon ever known, you're dealing with Edgar Brothers rather than Highland Outdoors - EB is a MUCH better outfit!)

The CZ every time, no question. I've had 3 of them, a 223, .22H and .17AH (527 action and stock). They're great guns. The .223 (varmint with laminate stock) would put a 5 shot group into a ragged hole at 100 yards. The .22H isn't far behind it. The .17 doesn't count because it's not a CZ barrel (but it will same hole at 100). The triggers on them are very good. With a little adjustment they're as good as any other and are easy to work on. There's no way I'd buy a Howa unless it was half the price!

(and if by some horrible happening you get the only CZ lemon ever known, you're dealing with Edgar Brothers rather than Highland Outdoors - EB is a MUCH better outfit!)

It does happen, I've had 2 cz varmint kevlars that went back to Edgar Bros, ended up getting a full refund and buying another Tikka.

But as you say, Edgar Bros are great to deal with.

Rick.

First one, the barrel wasn't true to the action(pointed off to the left) couldn't chamber a round.

Second one, just wouldn't shoot, had a crown like a welders bench, so it was re-crowned, still wouldn't shoot.

Tried, various factory rounds and reloads,

mod on/ mod off,

changed scope and mounts.

Four different people shot this rifle and we were lucky if we could get three shots onto an A4 target.

Rick.

Good choice ;)

Having had both Howa and CZ, they both shoot well for me.

I don't think either will be right 100% of the time, but I'd take CZ over Howa.

I'd take Sako over either, and there have been bad Sakos too - importer has a lot of influence in my choice. GMK are probably the worst company on earth, truly shocking.

Ordered a .308 T3 last Tuesday, no sign, will be into next week now. Bloody ridiculous - if that was an Edgars rifle, it would have been with me a week already!

A deposit has now been put on the cz and will pick it up next week, Cheers for the comments lads.

I have a s&b 8x56 scope ready to put on it, any idea's as to which mounts to fit?

They are non standard size rails, didn't we mention that before you put a deposit on it? :hmm:

I have a 527 and use Warne rings, can't fault them ;)

Chambers do them, as do other places you just need to work out the height.

Good choice ;)

Ordered a .308 T3 last Tuesday, no sign, will be into next week now. Bloody ridiculous - if that was an Edgars rifle, it would have been with me a week already!

A few weeks to wait for a rifle is fair i would say.

These things take time, they cant be moved around like normal items.

If you want a long waiting time try 9 months. I gave up in the end.

The Varmint model? If so they're lovely stable rifles to use. I had one and it was amazingly accurate.

If you decide to mod it with a Predator 8 and need a rear bushing for it I have one to fit. It's a bit of a shot in the dark but if you did go for a used P8 I thought I'd mention that I have one that's no use to me. I'm sure I could cover the cost of a stamp so if you do need one you know who to ask. :)

A few weeks to wait for a rifle is fair i would say.

These things take time, they cant be moved around like normal items.

If you want a long waiting time try 9 months. I gave up in the end.

I wouldn't say it was fair, rifle couriers do NBD too - that is the service Edgar Bros offer. It's only going from Portsmouth to Oxford.... I just hate GMK, they are so **** it is untrue.

I wouldn't say it was fair, rifle couriers do NBD too - that is the service Edgar Bros offer. It's only going from Portsmouth to Oxford.... I just hate GMK, they are so **** it is untrue.

Your assuming they hold stock in this country. Everytime my dad has ordered a rifle from GMK its been out of stock and they have had to wait for more stock to come into this country. This was the case when i enquired about a t3 a few months back as well. Im sure they do hold some stock if not considerable stock in this country, but its never been what i'm after.

If you dislike GMK so much source one from another gunshop and have it sent to you.