pigeons on rape

mossy835

We went out the weekend before last decoying over rape. We were allowed to shoot on two fields as they are part of NPPC. Pigeons just passed our fields and landed on adjacent fields with the same crop cover. Why? Couldn't understand this. There were thousands of pigeons but none would come down in our fields

Pigeons do have certain fields that they like and they will go past any field to get to them even if the other fields have the same crops.

I can garentee that if on some of the fields on the land I shoot has got rape on I will get some great shooting all year and some I can garentee I wont hardly see anything.

Pigeons are odd things more odd than women Imo.

Like merseadaivid says pigeons have fav fields what I have found from my local area is that if you buy some old os maps and study the birds fav fields you will probley find a reason dating back many years either hedgeline or copse or wood that has beeen grubbed out 50 years ago.

And thats why they prefer said field just passed down the bloodline in the local birds .

Classic case for me on one farm birds pitched in the middle of a massive field after talking to old boy found there use to be a beech hanger right where the flighted .

The strange thing being that the birds never fed where it use to be always around the wood which was circle .

Regards OTH