size matters !

AJAX

I've just bought some 3" solway magnum carts and was surprised to find that they are the same length as some 2 3/4" AAA alphamax that I already had. Ialso bought some 42gm carts which are marked 70mm and these are shorter than all the other carts marked 70mm. the boxes state that the magnums must only be used in guns with 3" chambers but they are the same length as those that should be 2 3/4". anyone know why none of the cartridges I have are actually the size stated ?

AJAX

The fired length is the thing that will do damage - different crimps and all that.

Shotgun chambers are designed (and barrels marked) for 2 3/4 or 3 or 3 1/2 etc. the unfired cartridge length is one thing, the fired length something else.

If you pull the trigger on a 3inch cartridge in a 2 3/4 gun (which could chamber ok)you could have the (no unfolded crimp) going beyond the chamber and into the barrel itself.

Guess what happens to pressures and your gun (and your head / hands) and those around you :P

Cheers

AndyCM

thanks for the response fellas, yes the AAA has a roll top and the magnums are crimped. both measure only 67mm unfired. I hadn't realised that it was the length of the case after firing that equated to chamber size suitability, not that I would ever attempt to fire a cart quoted as being 3" in a gun with 2 3/4" chambers. I assumed that 3" meant that the cart would be 3" lomg before firing. As you are probably aware I'm a bit of a novice, can you fire a 50gm load of bb through a full choke ?

As you are probably aware I'm a bit of a novice, can you fire a 50gm load of bb through a full choke ?

Yep, but there are not too many situations why you would want to - fowling and (extreme) foxing.

It will kick a bit, so would not recommend 100 sporting clays :P

Cheers

AndyCM

Thanks Andy. Foxes are what i have in mind, the ******* are pinching my peacocks and chickens. I thought it was just the one but I've shot 11 in the last 4 weeks all in the same paddock just 60 yards from my house. seems the more I shoot the more appear ! I've shot most of them at the 15/20 yard mark some as close as 10 ! and up to now they seem to be suicidal. Now they are wising up to me and I cant call them any closer than about 30 yards and number 5 shot aint going to cut the mustard at that sort of range. I'm hoping that 50 gms of bb's will sort them out. I've also got some 42 gm 1's but as of yet I've not tried either. Hoping to to have a go tonight !

Cheers

Ajax

• 6 years later...

I've just bought some 3" solway magnum carts and was surprised to find that they are the same length as some 2 3/4" AAA alphamax that I already had. Ialso bought some 42gm carts which are marked 70mm and these are shorter than all the other carts marked 70mm. the boxes state that the magnums must only be used in guns with 3" chambers but they are the same length as those that should be 2 3/4". anyone know why none of the cartridges I have are actually the size stated ?

Some 2 3/4" cartridges are the same length as some 3" cartridges whilst unfired but after being fired you would be easily be able to tell the difference. The 42g 2 3/4" cartridges should be fine to fire through any normal 2 3/4" chambered gun.