Decoying advice please

fielddweller

Guys :good:

I am after some help regarding distances and numbers,i use the horse shoe pattern as shown in the tips/tricks.I have 1 x rotary, 12 shells and 3 full bodied feeding decoys at the moment.

So what id like to know is:-

1. How wide should the opening be at the end of the horse shoe?

2.How many decoys to use in the horse shoe,and where then to place the dead birds?

Many thanks

Fielddweller

With a side wind (from either side), the furthest decoy from my hide is about 35 paces.

When using a curved/horseshoe type layout, the opening is about 25-30 paces wide.

Use as many decoys as you have, the decoys don't need to be at regimented distances and I add the dead birds by "thickening" the curve (if you know what I mean).

Mostly its trial and error, what works one day may not work another.

Be prepared to change things if they don't seem to be working.

With a side wind (from either side), the furthest decoy from my hide is about 35 paces.

When using a curved/horseshoe type layout, the opening is about 25-30 paces wide.

Use as many decoys as you have, the decoys don't need to be at regimented distances and I add the dead birds by "thickening" the curve (if you know what I mean).

Mostly its trial and error, what works one day may not work another.

Be prepared to change things if they don't seem to be working.

I'd go with that....... don't leave the end of the horseshoe too narrow,give'em plenty of room to land.

Robbly

Just remember to to keep the open end OPEN :) or they will be put off and possibly land well outside the pattern- which you don't want

Also try what I call the rail way line pattern- two lines in parallel narrowing slightly as you get towards the hide- works for me :lol:

Good Luck

Les B)

Edited by Lez325

I would tend to add the dead birds to the back of the pattern replacing the plastic decoys. These are the first birds the pigeons see as they come in to land so the idea is they are less likely to flare if they see a real bird. I then move the plastic decoys to the sides and front of the pattern to thicken it up.

Think of the horseshoe shape as a wobbly V.

Vary distance a random spaceing.

The bottom of the V is the busy place.

For the first few outing just walk around & drop the deeks on the ground.

Have a walk around the outside of the patter & look from the hide.

When happy put them on sticks or whatever.

Only shhot very easy commited birds, use the not sure one to watch, think & learn.

It's better to not shoot so much & learn first than blast away & then wonder what's wrong.