Teaching my Old dog new tricks?

Lamper121

MY 3\4 greyhound 1/4 collie lurcher is 5 years old now, and due to some problems i was having when she was a pup, i did not ever get to spend enough time training her to her full potential( something i deeply regret! )

Can anyone tell me how i can teach my dog to retrieve at this age?..is it possible!? Any advice would be extremely welcome!

Thanks

First of all thanks for replying!

when something is thrown she usually runs after it, picks it up and if im lucky trots a few paces in my direction then drops it. Sometimes i get her to bring it most of the way but she drops it a few yards before she gets to me. She is particularly hard to keep interested in the dummy. Hope this is of some help!

Cheers

Lamper:

I wil get back to you with a couple of things to try in the next day or two. There are a couple of tricks that you can try before going into a force fetch program. If you want to read the force fetch over , read for your gsp tercel pinned at the top of the training forum. Just remember that that program takes roughly 8 weeks to cover and involves 2 lessons a day.

NTTF

Heres the first one you can try:

Get a cloth pencil case...the kind like the kids use to keep their school pencils in....cut up and place inside the case a couple of hot dogs. Throw the case. When she goes out and picks it up , and turns where she can see you start to jog back wards telling her that she is a good girl,good girl all the way in. When she gets within 3 feet of you stop. She should end up directly in front of you, when she stops. Do not worry about getting her to sit to deliver at this point. If she wants to hold the case let her do so for up to a minute. Big thing is to try not to let her drop it on the ground. Once you have the case open it and give her a bit of hotdog. Continue to repeat being sure to back up and praise as she comes in.

Try this one if it doesn't work....give it 2 or 3 sessions....then I will give you another to try.

NTTF

sorry NTTF! ive been workin alot... we have been doing it twice a day with a lovely purple pencil case, and shes responding very well... only problem is shes trying to eat the hot dogs through case but its improving

thanks for the advice..im going to keep it up for another 2 weeks and get back to you with an update!

thanks again

lamper

yes she does.. however it is a rope toy with a knot in the end?

most days when i come home from work, she brings me the rope toy.. as some sort of welcome gesture, i have never tried training with it.

she responds well to sticks aswell.. im sure that is a bad thing i know!

Hope this is of some help

cheers

Lamper

Lamper:

NTTF here

Take her out with the rope toy, toss it 3 or 4 feet and tell her to fetch it up. When she brings it to you praise her, and give her a treat....piece of hotdog. Continue to do this until she is retrieving a distance of 20 to 30 feet and then start to drop out the treats SLOWLY. When she is consistantly retrieving throw a dummy every 3rd or 4th retrieve, mixing it in with the rope. Be sure to praise and to give her a treat every time she brings the dummy in.

See if this works, and then we will add some of the polishing on.

NTTF