mk iv golf

joeainscow

Hi,

I got a mk iv golf 2 years ago of my brother who had it from new and just starting to have a problem with what i thought was the clutch slipping? A friend told me it's the flywheel though? It doesn't slip if i gun it in first second third ect. If i start in third it slips for about a second then grips again. If i put it into 6th at 40mph then plant my foot at about 60 mph it slips. Any ideas?

By the way it's a gt tdi 150.

Joe

Apparently if it won't slip in first or second ect but will at higher speeds in 5th or 6th then it's the flywheel. It wouldn't of surprised me if it was the clutch as it was bought for my older brother to learn in, then was given to me to learn in. So it's had two learners and we've put 130,000 miles on it in 5 and a half years.

Joe

Sounds like clutch. There is more air resistance at high speeds and the torque in a diesel means that as it comes on boost you will have max power not at low or high rpm. Prob why it stops. At low speeds/gears the gearing and lack of resistance means the clutch prob wouldn't slip. Mine had the same symptomns and replacing the clutch sorted it.

Morning all

Yep sounds like clutch to me as well :lol: but before you book it in make sure there is no oil contamination anywhere around the bell housing where the clutch is sitted you could have a small 'o ring' broke inside where the shaft comes out of the gearbox, this could cause clutch slip at high speed due to more resistance from the drive wheels and the gear ratio being used :lol: .

I know most clutches slip from a standing start when covered in oil but I have know one or two to come through the garage where i worked with just a little oil on them (from the forementioned seal area), enough to cause slip at higher speeds ( when the engine is warm and under load) but not at the start.

Also is it doing it all the time every time or is it an intermittent fault any burning smells or unusual actions from the car eg judder when pulling off etc.

If it helps have a look on the fourtitude website its a vast place of useful (and uselss :yp: ) information for VW's and Audis.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeromain?id=3 ........... hope i am allowed to put this link in here sorry to admin if i can't :rolleyes: .

Good luck :good:

12guage

Edited by 12guage

Its a dual mass flywheel and yes they are a massive problem, quite expensive too.

In my experience they usually make a noise rather than slip when they go but most of the cars we deal with that have them are taxis and have managed to knacker them every 70Kmiles.

I think you can get a solid flywheel fitted which will make the next change much cheaper but unless you do massive miles its probably best to stick with dual mass.

Go and get a third opinion as it could be oil contamination

ben