Tried my new semi out any tips

mfrcus

Hi ,i tried my gun out today at a clay shoot & to be honest i shot worse than ever :blink: Any tips or anything i should consider now i've started useing a semi .I know its slightly longer than my o/u .I did enjoy shooting it & i guess a lot of it was its a new gun but any tips would be good ..cheers marcus

I did the same today - tried my new semi. Shot like a plank as the gun does not yet fit me properly. Raised comb, some weight in the stock - and it will fit me.

I reckon the stock might be a little long me on mine aswell ,i'll give it a few more try's & see about getting it fitted to me properly..cheers marcus

did you get any shims with it to adjust the camber?

No it didn't unfortunitly ,the gun was as good as new but didn't have a manual or shims ,did have some nice optma chokes tough .I guess i'll have to look into getting hold of some ..cheers marcus

Hi Mate,

No idea on the gun, might just take a little getting used to.

Where do you shoot? I work in Maidenhead and always looking for new grounds.

Cheers,

Jon.

Hi ,have you tried flightline westicot way just off the bath road about a mile & a bit ,on the way to reading .Next shoot is th 17th i think & then its every other sunday ,theres allso one in walthum st lawrence near the bell pub not on date at the mo .Theres allso priestwood just outside of high wycombe near daw hill raf base ,that was today so again in 2 weeks .If you need directions to any of them let me know ..cheers marcus

Most semi-auto guns have a selection of shims to change the comb height and cast . The first thing to do therefore with a new semi-auto is to get it to fit you (with the help of a coach if needed). There is no point in changing your sight picture to fit the gun's set up . It will work better if you change the gun to fit you . In my experience stock length is rarely responsible for a miss if you shoot premounted ; the main difference is in the ease of mounting the gun .

If you shoot swing through or pull-away you will have a tendency to miss in front until you can control your swing . It just takes practice . Do not expect too much until you have shot several hundred shells to get used to the different feel of a semi . Plan B would be to stick with maintained lead as much as possible .

Edited by T.C.

My semi shoots soooo flat its untrue ! I have to be right smack 100% on the line of the clay where as my over and under is mainly a game gun and shoots soooo high ! i have to be well under the line of the clay.

Try mounting your gun and getting some 1 to place a pound coin about half way up the rib then closing your oposite eye to the 1 that is in align with the rib and see where the bead is. This should hopefully tell how your gun shoot's.

Hope this help's.