whats the best load for a moderated .410

Well I spoke to saddlery and gun room. They wouldn't offer a concrete statement on the matter, presumably so as to avoid liability. I don't resent their reluctance; that's standard business and the staff remained friendly and helpful.

However, the conversation could be summarised as;

- Saddlery and gun room advise against the use of plastic wads in hushpower moderators, in favour of felt or fibre.

- There is a perceived increased risk of damage or injury as a result of using plastic wads.

- To date, there have been no reports of damage or injury as a result of using plastic wads in hushpower moderators.

There it is, it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk to you. I would personally say that the risk is substantialy less with break-barrel guns where the bore can be easily checked after each shot. Pumps such as the mossberg are rather more difficult to check. Fibre wads are more expensive, but the .410 never was an economy option anyway... :)

Edited by sterling

Stealths are a different moderator design to the hushpowers, a single piece aluminum moderator as opposed to a series of baffles.

I'm assured by York Guns, manufacturers of the Stealth, that the use of plaswads is no problem, in fact its the preferred choice.

I tried various makes in mine when I got it (2 year old thread) and settled with lyalvale 2.5" and 3" both plastic wads, shot hundreds of rounds never had one blockage.

At the risk of taking a two year old thread off on a tangent, just out of curiosity; Do you wear hearing protection when using your suppressed 410? After a day in the woods with 25 eley extralong subs + 50 fourlongs through a hush, my ears feel like I've been to a very loud rock concert.

I also had the chance to hear some 410 slugs through a hushpower today. I would say the slugs through the hushpower were on a par with a suppressed 308 firing supersonics. LOUD!

Edited by sterling

At the risk of taking a two year old thread off on a tangent, just out of curiosity; Do you wear hearing protection when using your suppressed 410? After a day in the woods with 25 eley extralong subs + 50 fourlongs through a hush, my ears feel like I've been to a very loud rock concert.

I also had the chance to hear some 410 slugs through a hushpower today. I would say the slugs through the hushpower were on a par with a suppressed 308 firing supersonics. LOUD!

Ive no longer got mine but it depended on where I was shooting, in woods or an enclosed area then yes but not in open fields.

Ive no longer got mine but it depended on where I was shooting, in woods or an enclosed area then yes but not in open fields.

Sounds sensible. I usually wear them but stupidly forgot them this time. Part of me wishes I had got the hushpower O/U 20g and I might part with the 410 at some point too. Anyway, I should stop rambling and let an ancient thread come to an end :)

Sounds sensible. I usually wear them but stupidly forgot them this time. Part of me wishes I had got the hushpower O/U 20g and I might part with the 410 at some point too. Anyway, I should stop rambling and let an ancient thread come to an end :)

I just keep a handful of foam earplugs in all my jacket pockets, I regret getting rid of my .410 but if I had the choice I'd go with the 20b o/u