Lamp- shy.

rushy lad

Thinking of getting a lurcher for a spot of lamping around some permission that I have, but the Rabbits have been lamped on a good few occasions. Question is do Rabbits remain lamp-shy, or do they settle down after a period?

Had a look with the lamp last night and Rabbits were everywhere but soon legged it when the lamp was switched on.

Anyone any advice on this?

Rushy. :)

I imagine due to the epidemic of rabbits this year that your permission as been lamped to the extent that most of this years stock have been picked off and whats left are streetwise and alert to any danger.As for whether they settle down when left alone after the easy ones have been picked off that is i have to say through my own experience they remain lamp shy until a new batch are bred :)

Try different colour diffusers on your lamp.............Red is very effective but it does turn a 400m beam into 125m :lol:

Have no experience with Lurchers i'm afraid (Not sure how the Law stands either)

Ive

Hi all,

try going out late.give them time to get out into the field.

the best nights are dark with no moon and the wind in your face.

another thing to think about is the size of your dog ,big dogs are not

so quick to turn in smaller fields etc.

and as you can`t take foxes or hares with dogs anymore! do you

want bull crosses etc?

regards wam

Whipet greyhound collie is probably ideal for you want as would be bedlington blood in there. The colie blood makes a very inteligent lamping dog and if you get the speed of the grey or whippet in ther you are on to a winner 3/4 running dog 1/4 herding dog is a good mix but 50/50 can work very well also. Mine tends to be a little on the fast side for rabbits but she has learned not to overshoot them

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

Sometimes the quarry hasn't become "lamp shy", but they have become "noise shy".

I have been on a few unsuccesful lamping trips as a guest and "lamp shyness" has been blamed for the lack of success.

I seemed to be the only one that thought landrover doors slamming, cigarette smoke, coughing and talking too loud, had anything to do with it.

Just a thought.