stalking sticks

Lez325

Decide to make some sticks for the .222 for longer standing shots

B&Q sell Growing sticks at £2.45 each metal 6ft 3 long and covered in Green plastic with a point at one end

a ccouple of heavy duty Rubber O rings a cable tie and here they are - cost less than £6 to make

Les :rolleyes:

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

They also become excellent marker sticks while sending the dog out for a blind retrieve......well they help me remember where i have placed the dummy in the long grass :rolleyes:

If they are the correct ones, i cut the top off and then push my home made pigeon flapper wire into it, and placed on an angle in the ground my little flapper bounces around quite happily :rolleyes:

People love making these, but I much prefer Bushsticks.

They telescope down nicely so they fit in the boot of my car, and that means they are useful for sittng/kneeling shoots - still each to their own I guess...

I have made some smaller ones for sitting and kneeling and as I drive an Isuzu Trooper Commercial , I have all the space I need to carry stuff around

I have made some smaller ones for sitting and kneeling

So you are up to £12 already :rolleyes: and then you have to decide as you walk away from the vehicle what type of shot you are likely to encounter, if you aren't sure you will need to take both.

I made some and only took them out a couple of times as they were a pain in the butt to transport, I gave them to my mate who found the same so they are sat in his shed doing nothing.

I am not saying they aren't a good job, they are just not for me.

To finish the job off neatly the rubber rings can be bought from any equine, thats horsey lol, shop for a few pence.

Homebase also do these sticks and theirs are "nobbled" which might give a better grip.

As said the telescopic jobs are, imo, the way forward, they are easier to store and to use for kneeling shots etc.

Cheers Rob.

Good point- I made the longer ones for a spesific area - long grass and brambles but plenty of Foxes so sitting would be a no no- I usually shoot form my 4x4 on most of my land- the grassy area is inaccesible by vehicle hence the long sticks and these are far cheaper than pre-made commercial jobbies too

The smaller sticks I made from two old aluminum brushn handles lol ( FREE).

Fair comment though :rolleyes:

Edited by Lez325

To finish the job off neatly the rubber rings can be bought from any equine, thats horsey lol, shop for a few pence.

Homebase also do these sticks and theirs are "nobbled" which might give a better grip.

As said the telescopic jobs are, imo, the way forward, they are easier to store and to use for kneeling shots etc.

Cheers Rob.

Never thought of Equine shops what do theyn use rubber rings for may I ask???

- and by the way the B&Q ones are nobbled too :rolleyes:

People have also used the rubber drive belt out of a vacuum cleaner, or drill through both and stick a bolt through them, the permutations are endless..

In fact I can feel a 'show use your shooting sticks' thread coming on already :drool:

I'm up for that lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::drinks::crazy:

My smaller sticks have a 6mm x 75mm bolt through them and a butterfly nut to tighten them up- will this fun ever end?

Les :oops:

Hiya Folks

My tuppence worth -

Local B&Q is cheaper with sticks @ £1.99....

I use an old bicycle inner tube, free from local bike shop, cut into a 25mm wide strip and wrap this firmly around the first 250mm from the top to provide 'grip' for rifle forends, couple of turn of pvc tape seals the loose end off.

As for tying them together I use vacuum cleaner drive belts folded over onto themselves provides a squeek free opening - 70p. Bit of a sod rollng the belt down the rubber inner tube but works a treat.

This set-up has worked for me for more than a few years and replacement whenever doesnt rankle.

I know a F-Commission Ranger who uses 3 canes and inner tube knotted round these to provide a tri-pod - and he shoots 250+ deer a year.

I could always use a 'Carlos Fandango' one but the above suits me and fit for my purpose.........

For kneeling/low shots you could always do the same on one of the legs with a 600mm cane....hmmm

Cheers

I like the idea of inner tubes from bikes on the V- maybe have to rob the neighbours front wheel :beer::lol:

Vacuum cleaner dive belts - I like that idea too- Im thinking I'll have a chance of set up - as the O ring rubber is very strong but needs to be held in place with a cable tie

Les :stupid::lol:

Edited by Lez325

Hiya

If it helps further experience on 'bespoke' sticks -

If you wrap the innner tube around each stick too tight it starts cracking on the cut edges - just wrap it firmly so as to stop water penetrating (not that will be a problem on plastic coated sticks);

Overlapping the inner tube about 5mm as you wrap provides 'ribbing' for ones hands and for the stock;

You may need to fold over a wrap or two on the top otherwise this just leaves an exposed edge;

The vacuum drive-belts I use are about 5-10mm thick and wont slide down as they are quite tight when used as a figure 8.

Self-amalgamating tape whilst good for a few months becomes tacky and then joins the sticks together - a damned nuisance if not checked each outing only to find out as setting up on a chosen beast........

Dont rely on them for leverage or pushing off agaist as they bend fairly easy and wont straighten again!!!

Good 'diy-ing'!!!

Cheers

I bought a third stick yesterday and am going to try a swing out third leg held on with velcro, got some inner tube but they only had 1.5" so it will need cutting. I also got one of the rubber bands from a horsey shop which was worth the journey just to ask the sexy girl in the shop if they sold them and what the hell they were for.

Its weird that I will go so far for gun diy projects but will happily leave the kitchen unfinished :lol:

I bought a third stick yesterday and am going to try a swing out third leg held on with velcro, got some inner tube but they only had 1.5" so it will need cutting. I also got one of the rubber bands from a horsey shop which was worth the journey just to ask the sexy girl in the shop if they sold them and what the hell they were for.

Its weird that I will go so far for gun diy projects but will happily leave the kitchen unfinished :good:

Ok dont leave us guessing- what are the little rubbers called and what are they used for :good::):hmm:

Les :hmm:

People love making these, but I much prefer Bushsticks.

They telescope down nicely so they fit in the boot of my car, and that means they are useful for sittng/kneeling shoots - still each to their own I guess...

Where would you recommend to get these or similar from Stuart?

Cheers.

GB.

Ok dont leave us guessing- what are the little rubbers called and what are they used for :good::ernyha: :blink:

Les :yes:

Don't know what they are called (she was wearing knee boots and jodhpurs Mmmmm. :blink: )

They were something to do with stirups and falling off :hmm:

I have decided that the sapling straps I had are much better than the bands as they have a bit of tension which makes it all more stable, I have also found more expensive but lighter poles from a garden centre that are just hollow plastic.