AN HOUR ON THE RANGE TODAY.

Frank

Went for a bit of practice to my local range.

The wind was blowing at between 15 and 25 mph, from 5 O' clock to 11 O' clock.

The first pic is of my rifle, not too clear, best i can do till next week when i get the digital. ??? The range was 100 yds.

Second pic, is a 4 shot group with Remington 55 grain FMJ factory ammo.

Third pic is a group shot with the Sako 55 grain SP factory ammo.

Im going to get a few more brands to try out, but so far quiet happy with the results. ;)

Edited by Frank

Hi Frank,

I tried 55 Grn Sako's at 100 and 200 yards on Saturday, and wasn't as impressed as I was with 50 Grn version. I tried the 50's at 50yrds and got a clover leaf hole with 3 quick shots, but the 55's at 100yrds opened out quite a lot from there.

It was raining on and off and blowing a fair bit, so not the best conditions, but then we don't always hunt on nice sunny calm days either ;)

I will go back and do a bit more research before I give up and finally get into reloading ???

My 6.5x55 was spot on at 100yrds and 200yrds, but 140grns are obviously less bothered by bit of rain and breeze.

Hi Stuart,

What was your group size with the 55 grain at 100? Im going to get the 50 grain version soon and wil, try them out.

The 55s were as you can see, grouping an inch or their abouts.

What was your group with the 50 grain version at 100?

Thanks.

I was afraid you were going to ask that! ???

Well the 55's were grouping at about 2" at 100 yards, which IMHO is not good enough. I ran out of 50grn's last week so I wasn't able to complete the back to back comparison. My mate had is AR15 along and that was sticking his homeloads through the same hole, I know that a grand + worth of shooter, so I am not comparing the 2 but and indication that it wasn't the conditions.

I bought the 55grn's as I was told they were the most readily availble bullet weight for .223 and the 50grn is most popular weight for .222. I now know I can get whatever I want at a resonable price so I will get some more 50's and test them out at 100/200 yrds. I have also found out that I can use a range much nearer to home whenevr I want so that will make testing a lot less painfull.

I have to put some time in on the house over the next couple of weeks, so it may be while until I am able to do some more testing, but I will keep you posted.

Thanks Stuart. ;) I know what you mean about doing jobs around the house, im at that very thing at the moment ??? .

Its funny how rifles are so different, even though we share the same make and model.

I have a feeling that the 50 grainers will group a half inch at 100 in mine,(hopefully) when i get some.

Anything under an inch at 100, is fine by me for fox shooting, i will zero inch high, which should do me out to 250 on chest shots.

As i do most of my fox culling at night, that should be plenty enough.

The best of luck with finding the right ammo for yours. ;)

Let me know how you get on.

Yes, your right Ive, it does have a 1 in 12 twist. By brand do you mean the Sako 55gr im using? ???

Thanks.

No Frank

By brand i meant Federal Premium V-shok Nosler ballistic tip 55grn(P223F) .I have been down the same road as you and stuartp (looking at your groups)

£20 per box ,yes they are expensive but with correct breathing etc you just might be able to put all 3 together at 100yds making a mashed hole.

I was refering to your comments on Federal .204 ammo made on a previous thread.

And yes 1 box will not hurt ;) ................Try to stick to 55 grn if you can ;)

Cheers Ive .

Sorry i don't like uploading or i would post some of my 100 yd groups :D

Edited by deadeye ive

Thanks Nick. :lol: Much appreciated. :lol:

Ive, thats a great group with the Federal V-shock, seems good in your rifle.

The Federal Classic SP seems a bit wide. :lol:

Lovely rifle too :lol: , a Tikka 595 if im correct. :P

Edited by Frank

Nick

Much appreciated ,Thank you, you are a true gent :lol:

Frank

I'm not ********ting when i say this but the V- Shok picture were shots 7,8and 9 .of my first attempt.

1-6 are underneath which were as a result from re-zeroing from where a more deffinate target was placed ..

I HAD 2 Targets of a 3 shot mashed hole ,took it to show a friend and left it in the car for 1 day ...............As LB would say from interrogating the Rottwieler she confessed to throwing them away when cleaning the car as she thought i did not want them :lol::lol:

To prove it can be done i will do it early next week

Ive

The Federal Classic SP seems a bit wide. :lol:

Lovely rifle too :lol: , a Tikka 595 if im correct. :P

Frank

I tried Winchester,Sako and Federal ALL in Soft Point and they were all eratic in my gun to the point that i thought i was the problem,Sako performed the best however ..........i managed to achieve a 1"group twice ;) .I stuck with SP,s BECAUSE i was advised to by folks more experienced than myself :P

At a £1 a shot i,m sticking to these ...............Be warned :lol: At 100yds they go straight through 3/8" THICK 316L Stainless Steel Plate like a Knife through Butter :lol:

Cheers

Ive