prefered fields

cocker3

why is it pigeons like some fields of rape and not others. on one of my perms i have 2 rape fields and the birds never go near them yet the very next field of rape( not on my perm)the birds love it .

i spoke to a farmer and he said it could be the stain of rape the farmer has sown apparently there are hundreds of varieties (not sure if this is true or not av never heard of it tho :lol: )any thoughts on this . :oops:

I have found the same thing.

Birds just seem to like certain fields, we have fields that at certain times of the year we can guarentee getting bigs bags no matter what crops is on the field.

We have rape that is next to each other and is the same variety and the birds are only attacking one field and not the other. Some is down to having certain favourite sitty trees or flightlines that the birds use.

But I have never hered or seen birds not eating certain varietys of rape.

I have found the same thing.

Birds just seem to like certain fields, we have fields that at certain times of the year we can guarentee getting bigs bags no matter what crops is on the field.

We have rape that is next to each other and is the same variety and the birds are only attacking one field and not the other. Some is down to having certain favourite sitty trees or flightlines that the birds use.

But I have never hered or seen birds not eating certain varietys of rape.

am not sayin they never touch it but if both fields are not beign shot they always go ot the other field .and it not sitty trees the have to fly 1/2mile to hit trees and they flight over my field to get to

the other field and they wont decoy even if someone is shooting the other field the wont us mine :lol:

I think there are many factors some is where old hedges where and woods etc.

Some times the ground conditions eg if one field is slighty drier under foot.

I think varietys do some times play a factor some times but I think some fields produce sweeter tasting crop.

I think that there is alot to be learnt about pigeons habits and alot of shooter due to work family etc just dont have the time .

I have studied birds for two or three hours sometimes .

Regards OTH

I think there are many factors some is where old hedges where and woods etc.

Some times the ground conditions eg if one field is slighty drier under foot.

I think varietys do some times play a factor some times but I think some fields produce sweeter tasting crop.

I think that there is alot to be learnt about pigeons habits and alot of shooter due to work family etc just dont have the time .

I have studied birds for two or three hours sometimes .

Regards OTH

hi oth yeh drier under foot could be part of it .as you said field craft is important and i have watched the field for flight lines ect and then set up after a couple of hour and the just aint playin ball

and its driven me nuts :lol: