Looking for an apprenticeship.

Well im 16, going leaving school in may and going to collage in september im planning on doing a gamekeeping course 1 day a week so i need a job four days a week with a keeper i know its not a good time to be looking for a job in game keeping with the current resesion i need one local ish to me in Winslow Buckinghamshire ive sent some letters with no replys.

So if you may know of any one or have any contact details please let me know .

Thanks,Tom.

Im doing the same,just sent an email or two. But its gunna be harder for me as im past that age of geting on an apprentiship.

Get the college course done and pass your exams. You could get a part time job (anything) to earn money. Find gamekeepers in your area and offer to work for free, if they will give you a reference.

You could also help out as a beater :good:

Thats what I would do if I was younger.

Phil

Get the college course done and pass your exams. You could get a part time job (anything) to earn money. Find gamekeepers in your area and offer to work for free, if they will give you a reference.

You could also help out as a beater :good:

Thats what I would do if I was younger.

Phil

Would love to get on the course but the collage that does it will only take me on if i find someone to take me on as a trainee,but then i think i might have to pay for the course myself as the goverment wont. They only pay up to the age 21 and im now 27.

But im still going to look into it,must something out there for me.

Well im 16, going leaving school in may and going to collage in september im planning on doing a gamekeeping course 1 day a week so i need a job four days a week with a keeper i know its not a good time to be looking for a job in game keeping with the current resesion i need one local ish to me in Winslow Buckinghamshire ive sent some letters with no replys.

So if you may know of any one or have any contact details please let me know .

Thanks,Tom.

Good luck

I wish I had done the same. ,

I'm now 40 so it's a bit too late for me, however you still have plenty of time so dont give up. If you have to get a part time job to pay for courses go for it. To be employed in a job you love doing is priceless no matter what the salary,as long as you can make ends meet.

If I could offer any tips it would be to double check your spelling on any written applications.

• 1 month later...

i to had a chance some 25 yrs ago to do this but being young n daft and putting women and me mates first decided against it BIG MISTAKE.this will probs be the only chance u get pal get in there and give it ya best.to many of us sitting 20 odd yrs later whishing we could press the rewind button dont join us ha ha.good luck kid.

• 3 weeks later...

i recomend the north highlands college. a fantastic course and they will even put you on to an estate if you are struggling to find one. plus john waters and richard mcnichol are the best lecturers ive met.

after that sparsholt seems to be the most ranted about.

i went for an interview at newton rigg and the sylabus to me seems like a quantity over quality. you might come off with 10 different certificates but 1, are they worth anything and 2, are they just there to make up the numbers or are they actually usefull,( use of an airrifle???)

at end of the day its up to you to get the research put in and find which one suits you best.

best of luck

• 3 weeks later...
i recomend the north highlands college. a fantastic course and they will even put you on to an estate if you are struggling to find one. plus john waters and richard mcnichol are the best lecturers ive met.

after that sparsholt seems to be the most ranted about.

i went for an interview at newton rigg and the sylabus to me seems like a quantity over quality. you might come off with 10 different certificates but 1, are they worth anything and 2, are they just there to make up the numbers or are they actually usefull,( use of an airrifle???)

at end of the day its up to you to get the research put in and find which one suits you best.

best of luck

Im at Newton rigg it offers a very good course but keepers arent interested in paper work they want experience. Alot of us lot who finish this year are struggling to find jobs, theres a college at St boswells the borders college I think its called and they send you off for the year on work placement at places like Mar lodge which I wish I had done, they pay for everything accommodation etc and apparently the National diploma lot which I assume thats what you would start as get free le chameau mouflon plus an a set of techinical tweed plus lots of otehr goodies. Im going on now to do my forestry degree due to lack of jobs, but Id rather do the stalking side of the business than chicken rearing ahem pheasants!