Daystate FAC

cjb1

Folks,

I am considering getting a Daystate Air Wolf MVT FAC'd to 30FP but am seeking some advice first.

My mate had a MK4 iS-ST at normal 12 ft lbs and the accuracy was incredible, the Air Wolf uses the same MCT/MVT technology to regulate the shots etc, but wondered how much (if any) accuracy will be lost being 'bumped'?

Any of you have a Daystate FAC that could shed any light on this please, as i'm wanting to try and keep the pinpoint accuracy while also maintaining consistancy (with a little extra power :good: )

Cheers,

C

Edited by cjb1

Accuracy with any FAC air rifles depends on the technology and the pellet!

You will find pellets expensive and heavy for use as you move a bit higher than 30 ft lt.

Up to 30 ft lb the Bisley Mgnum and AA Field can cope, and if I'm honest I see little point or advantage of going any much above 30ft lb with an air rifle, after that, simply get a .22lr. You need a FAC for both and the .22lr is cheaper, much more repeatable, a vast array of ammo from caps to shorts to longs to lr to Hv to shotshells ..all from one rifle...

Anyway...I had a Daystate Huntsman until about 10 years back running at about 30ft lb, did the job and was fine, but then the multishot started appearing and it went in favour of a Falcon. Not the same build quality but did the job and still does when required, it runs around 26ft lb and loves the AA Field!! ;)

Edited by Dekers

Accuracy with any FAC air rifles depends on the technology and the pellet!

You will find pellets expensive and heavy for use as you move a bit higher than 30 ft lt.

Up to 30 ft lb the Bisley Mgnum and AA Field can cope, and if I'm honest I see little point or advantage of going any much above 30ft lb with an air rifle, after that, simply get a .22lr. You need a FAC for both and the .22lr is cheaper, much more repeatable, a vast array of ammo from caps to shorts to longs to lr to Hv to shotshells ..all from one rifle...

Anyway...I had a Daystate Huntsman until about 10 years back running at about 30ft lb, did the job and was fine, but then the multishot started appearing and it went in favour of a Falcon. Not the same build quality but did the job and still does when required, it runs around 26ft lb and loves the AA Field!! :oops:

Thanks for the info, very usefull! I should have mentioned that i currently use a Falcon Prairie B FAC that pushes out just under 40ft lb, although it very rarely lets me down when hunting (normally me i'm sure), i find when practicing on targets the shots are inconsistant (i use Bisley Magnums). The Falcon is a superb rifle, i think i have caught an air rifle collection 'bug' though. After having used a daysate and being thoroughly impressed, i would now like to add one to the collection :lol:

I'm sure i'll be after more advice in the near future, any other peeps out there with Daystate FAC experience please let me know!

Thanks again :no:

I think the conventional wisdom says that it's counter-productive to go above 35-ish ft/lb - uses too much air and can distort the pellets. As long as you stay below that the pellet and barrel should produce exactly tha same consistency, BUT... the only FAC airgun I've used suffered from MASSIVE muzzle flip compared to the non-FAC model, and that makes it much more difficult to be consistent especially if you're alternating between bipod/not.

To be honest I don't see the need. Most folk with FAC don't shoot further than 50-55yds, and that's only 5-10 yds more than sub-12ft/lb is normally capable of. I'd rather have the quietness of a moderated sub-12 and NONE of the hassles of FAC use (certification, surrender of the gun if you lose your permission etc), even if it means I have to sneak a wee bit closer.

Edited by Al Downie

To be honest I don't see the need. Most folk with FAC don't shoot further than 50-55yds, and that's only 5-10 yds more than sub-12ft/lb is normally capable of. I'd rather have the quietness of a moderated sub-12 and NONE of the hassles of FAC use (certification, surrender of the gun if you lose your permission etc), even if it means I have to sneak a wee bit closer.

i don`t think so mate. fac air will reach well into rimfire territory if the conditions are right.i always laugh when people say iy gives 5-10yds more. the sub 12 does n`t land with the thump the fac does.think you should take both and compare them :rolleyes:

i don`t think so mate. fac air will reach well into rimfire territory if the conditions are right.i always laugh when people say iy gives 5-10yds more. the sub 12 does n`t land with the thump the fac does.think you should take both and compare them :good:

I wasn't talking about the 'capability' of an FAC air rifle, only making an observation about the range that most folk seem to shoot with them. I've been out with both and I know the FAC packs a MUCH greater punch, but I still prefer the sub-12 because:

1) it's very much quieter

2) it has no muzzle flip

3) it has a much greater shot count

4) there's no certificate required

5) there's no ground clearance required

6) there's no requirement to sell/surrender your rifle if you lose your permission or ground clearance

7) sub-12 rifles are MUCH easier to sell

8) I can use the same gun for everything - HFT, rabbits, squirrels, rats, woodies in trees, ferals inside the barn, even plinking in the garden if i was really desperate.

9) Heaven forbid the gun gets stolen from (or along with) my car, I won't face possible prosecution.

All things considered, the hassle of FAC ownership isn't worth it for an extra 10yds range. In my opinion.

I wasn't talking about the 'capability' of an FAC air rifle, only making an observation about the range that most folk seem to shoot with them. I've been out with both and I know the FAC packs a MUCH greater punch, but I still prefer the sub-12 because:

1) it's very much quieter

2) it has no muzzle flip

3) it has a much greater shot count

4) there's no certificate required

5) there's no ground clearance required

6) there's no requirement to sell/surrender your rifle if you lose your permission or ground clearance

7) sub-12 rifles are MUCH easier to sell

8) I can use the same gun for everything - HFT, rabbits, squirrels, rats, woodies in trees, ferals inside the barn, even plinking in the garden if i was really desperate.

9) Heaven forbid the gun gets stolen from (or along with) my car, I won't face possible prosecution.

All things considered, the hassle of FAC ownership isn't worth it for an extra 10yds range. In my opinion.

It's like all things in life..it's what you want to do with it, can afford to spend, have the opportunity to do!!

I run 2 air rifles, 1 FAC, 3 rimfires, 3 centrefires, and however many shotguns happen to be in the cabinet at any time...and why...because I have a use and need for them all!!! :good::good:

ATB!!

Blimey! Have you thought about a Sako Quad? Lovely looking thing..

Complete waste of space, "if" you want to take out your gun and give one to your lad and/or a pal (like I often do)...just doesn't stack up!!

In addition, how useful is it to have 2 or more calibres ready to shoot...who wants to carry a spare barrel :yay:

Remember the light and heavy barrels don't sit in the same stock, there are scope issues as well and it isn't cheap!!

Nothing wrong with a Quad as such, but look at it as a gun, not 4 barrel options!!

and...I still don't rate it anywhere near the gun the Finnfire was!!

:good::yes::blush:

Remember the light and heavy barrels don't sit in the same stock, there are scope issues as well and it isn't cheap!!

Oh! Shows how much I know - sorry mate. I assumed that all four barrels were completely interchangeable with a single stock/action, and you could choose to shoot 17 or 22, light or heavy, depending on the mood you were in when you woke up!

Still a lovely looking thing though!

Cheers,

Al