4x4 Share?

HDAV

Interesting thing happened this morning a friend of my missus rang me :rolleyes: nope not like that.... She had broken down about 10 minutes away from us and wondered if i was workign from home? I was so went to see if i could help. She sold her car a while ago MX-5 and drives her fiancées car as his was on a lease deal (he now gets train to work after a restructure) and they only need one car. He has breakdown but she doesn't and not covered so car is parked up i gave her a lift and she's going to join a breakdown agency and then "breakdown" again on Friday.

So on the way we were chatting and they recently got a puppy who is too big for the car...Feista so they are looking at swapping it for something bigger in november when the lease on the feista is up.

They only need a bigger car odd occasions and taking dog out at weekends to vets etc I have been wondering about getting a cheap 4x4 for fun and it struck me that between us we could share one, i think it could work I know its a big potential mess but thinking something cheap that can be used off road for shooting etc but OK enough to take the dog to the beach etc. What thoughts? ALso is it me or are the only cheap 4x4 on the market at the moment freelanders?

That way they can replace fiesta with something cheap and economical and i have access to a 4x4 when needed i guess the snag is weekends are when we will both want it...

Edited by HDAV

What about insurance? Who will be the owner/registered keeper? Who will be the main user for insurance purposes? Will they be named drivers?

Realistically it would be in his name, on his drive and his insurance (another way to look at it is should i talk a mate into buying and old 4x4 i can borrow?)

I did this with a mate over the road.

I could never use the car when I wanted to.

They used it all the time instead of their BMW X3 as the didnt want that getting worn out / muddy etc :good: (which wasnt the agreement)

He would always moan when it needed money spending on it and would always try to cut corners with the repairs.

In the end I insisted that he bought me out or I bought him out. After weeks of him making up his mind he bought me out and I bought something else.

We still talk but it is not the relationship that we had before we shared the car :good:

Dont do it :good: