6ltr divers bottle

ronttuk

If the bottle is of steel or Aluminium construction then the test date should be stamped into the metal just below the cylinder neck and highlighted with spray paint.

If the cylinder was classed as for Scuba use and tested at an I.D.E.S.T. station, then the following tests will apply;

First 2 years from manufacture date is a visual/internal check.

Next 2 years from visual test is a Hydrostatic test. This involves placing the cylinder into what is a large jug filled with water and the cylinder is then itself pressurised with water. Depending upon the amount of water displaced from the 'Jug' is the amount of cylinder expansion and then contraction when the pressure is reduced.

Cylinders have to return to within a certain percentage of their original form or else they fail.

Following 2 years back to visual and so forth.

If the cylinder is constructed of Aluminium with a Kevlar/Carbon wrap on the outside, the test stamp will be on a metal collar around the neck. Still subject to the same testing procedures. These are mainly used for B.A. (breathing apparatus) hence very light and strange capacities and pressures - 4,6,9 ltrs etc. Altough, they are sometimes 300 Bar W.P.

If a cylinder is for 'surface use only' then the testing can be extended for 5 year periods.

As long as you have the surface pressure gauge fitted then getting this 5 year test should be o.k.

Please feel free to correct me on any of the above comments as they have been made entirely from my cloudy memory.

Regards Enzo :)