Tyre Question

garyb

Chaps..

I've just won a bargain pair of AT's on gaybay for my Truck... Now these tyres have a much more aggressive Off Road bias, than the Mud+Snows I'm currently using..

My question is, where should I place the two new AT's in order to give me the best off road grip / performance until I can pick up another 2 AT tyres to replace the M+s's

My truck is 4x4 and is rear wheel drive when in x2

So... AT's on the front or back?

GB

Edited by garyb

in theory they are best on the normal drive wheels but not sure about your fronty but mine wears the front tyres faster so i tend to swap round the tyres I to get even wear. If you want to keep your set up for a while then put the more worn on the back as they will last longer if you're not bothered then put the better ones on the back. Having better ones on the front means they will drag you out better when you do engage 4x4, or if the kangaroo kid is driving it probably won't make any difference :good:

personally I think they'll be pretty similar so wouldn't worry too much just have the ones with most tread on the back, after all its summer coming up so should at some point start to dry up or maybe thats just wishfull thinking!!

how are those more aggressive than M&S tyres?

Like I said, the off road bias of the Kumho is more favourable than the ones I currently have... Nothing against, them I've not been stuck with them - but 2 tyres (NON remolds, with more tread) for £24 isn't to be sniffed at :good:

It's a toss up, because I do use the car for on road use too... so a set of MT remolds would last about a month before they were shredded!

I think you'll be ok, i had a set of colway muds a while back and they lasted fine on road, current ones have a pretty good mud bias yet don't seem too bad but they aren't re-moulds. Once yours wear a bit I reckon they will be nicer on road, as for not getting stuck well some is down to tyres some is down to bad luck so I always add a yet before hand :good:

just a set of cheapo Amazon Technic Kingpins. My nearside rear has a horrible split in it and deflates in 48hrs so needed to get a new one, so thought i might as well get some MT's while i'm at it.

90% of the time i'm driving the Fronty on the farms

kingpin%20AMAZON.jpg

I use my truck for transporting my dogs around also... trips up the motorway for 90 odd miles are not unheard of so I think i'd have trouble with a set of full MT's on mine!

A 70/30 bias should be good enough for my needs... time will tell mind :good:

problem is you can always spend more, you saw my tyres the other night and they aren't noisy on road and actually grip well on tarmac yet are reasonably aggressive. Certainly doesn't hum or drone like proper muds do, that said you just have to be sensible where you go. I usually am as lets face it do damage and you might well be asked not to come back, I was quite impressed we went where we did in it on those tyres and it wasn't like it was struggling. Just keep looking at the bay you never know, mine were £85 on rims just keep an eye out for different sizes that will go on your rims some are more popular than others. Mine are landrover fitment so there were bucket loads about still fitted on my 16" wheels so alls good

just picked 'em up and dropped off the Fronty to a mate who's fitting/balancing etc.

forgot to take my house keys with me and the wife had gone out, doh!

fortunately the neigbour with a spare set turned up after only 10 mins - thank god it was today and nice and sunny and not yesterday's downpours.