Pigeon shooting

SSS

Baiting is not illegal. Crows eat wild pheasant eggs so a fake nest of hens eggs draws them in.

Whats so bad about baiting? I take it you never use decoys or a rotary.

I am inclined to say you simply disagree with people on here for the sake of it, especially if their views do not agree with your " I am the perfect example" views.

Cheers Mate!

First it was the crime of the century to use 7.5 28 grams on pigeons, despite myself having killed hundreds with such a load. To add insult to injury he then admits to using a 28 bore on pigeons!!

Now it is a crime to draw birds into range!

Why would I want to shoot Sparrows?

Recently he has been causing issue with people shooting for fun or pest control!!

:good: here here, everytime someone says something controversial on here MC is on it like flies around ****. As you say initially it was the 7 1/2 issue and now this. It doesn't matter whether I am game shooting or pest shooting I still enjoy it and at the same time I have respect for all quarry I shoot.

Cheers Mate!

First it was the crime of the century to use 7.5 28 grams on pigeons, despite myself having killed hundreds with such a load. To add insult to injury he then admits to using a 28 bore on pigeons!!

Now it is a crime to draw birds into range!

Why would I want to shoot Sparrows?

Recently he has been causing issue with people shooting for fun or pest control!!

Come on then Wide Boy, tell me why a 28 bore is wrong to use on pigeons? I still use 6's which I believe the argument was about. Unless you have some other issue that noone else knows about.

Noone said anything about it being a crime to draw birds into range, I said I thought it was illegal to bait to shoot wild birds. Apparently I am wrong although I do consider it very unsporting. Decoying is a completely different thing.

I am not causing an issue with people shooting for fun. I just don't accept the "I am only doing this for PEST CONTROL" ******** I go shooting because I enjoy it and no other reason.

Please get your facts straight before having a pop at me.

Edited by MC

Come on then Wide Boy, tell me why a 28 bore is wrong to use on pigeons? I still use 6's which I believe the argument was about. Unless you have some other issue that noone else knows about.

Noone said anything about it being a crime to draw birds into range, I said I thought it was illegal to bait to shoot wild birds. Apparently I am wrong although I do consider it very unsporting. Decoying is a completely different thing.

I am not causing an issue with people shooting for fun. I just don't accept the "I am only doing this for PEST CONTROL" ******** I go shooting because I enjoy it and no other reason.

Do you feel it's wrong then for someone to bait an area for fox?

Think Ive touched a nerve "wide boy". I dont need to get my facts right mate!

From what Ive seen on this forum your far too quick to jump down the throat of anyone suggesting anything you dont agree with.

A 28 bore on pigeons may well work fine. I took issue with the fact that you were constantly harping on at the fact that nothing less than 32 gram no.6 was humane for pigeons, then announce on another thread you sometimes use a 28 bore firing a much lighter load!

How exactly is baiting unsporting? How is it any different from decoying? What the hell does baiting crows have to do with shooting sparrows on a bird table?

As for shooting for pest control I have 2 farmer friends who do actually only shoot for pest control. They have no real interest in it as a sport. I have friends who do it puerly for fun. As for hunting for the pot, if thats the only reason someone does it then fine. People do shoot for different reasons.

Hope to hear from you soon "wide boy"!!! :good:

Where is this going?

I started this thread with no mention of SHOTGUN FOR PIGEONS, so let's top being petty and talk from experience.

I agree, MC is always quick to jump down peoples throats, but live and let live, I am getting rather ****** off with every thread on here turning into a slagging match, its a public forum for christs sake. Let's have some decent advice from people that know, and please, if you have nothing decent to say, take it somewhere else!

Has anyone else other than those that have said, shot pigeons with a .22lr?

All the best :good:

As I said in my first post before it was interupted, I have done and it works very well. I have also used a .17 HMR at longer ranges and this too works well. Head / neck shots still leaves plenty of meat!

My mates and I do it once every summer on some large stuble field from the top of a hill and make a day of it. We usually find a rotary puts them off landing however!

I noticed that when I was decoying before, I was thinking, in the summer, out on the stubble field lying under some camo net with the .22lr and a couple of cans. Sounds like a good day to me :D

What range did you set the pattern and were the pigeons comfortable enough landing that far away from you? :good:

I noticed that when I was decoying before, I was thinking, in the summer, out on the stubble field lying under some camo net with the .22lr and a couple of cans. Sounds like a good day to me :D

What range did you set the pattern and were the pigeons comfortable enough landing that far away from you? :good:

You better be careful SSS that the negative brigade don't jump down your throat with the mention of cans. If I have my .22lr granted by the summer I will shoot crows on freshly cut silege fields.

We usually pu the decoys out about 50-60 yards. We then bait crows about 100 yards away and then some slit open rabbits about 200 ish for the .243! We build a bench rest from a door on 4 fence posts and then build a commo net around it, all set up a few days before! Then sit back, relax and shoot all day! Usually we get into 100 fr the day between 3 of us, crows pigeons, rabbits etc.