22.250 bullet problems

reloading 22.250 using a lee turret press , the problem i am having using neck sizing collet die and dead lenght bullet seater is when the bullet is compressed into the case the total lenght is greater than the maximum overall lenght stated on the die set . maxium overall lenght by lee is 59,69mm and i can only achive 59,80mm . i know this is such a tiny amount am i worring about nothing . and yea the die is fully wound down to the stop . is it because i am only using 50gr bullets ? its not the powder stoping the bullet also as i have tryed with out the powder also . any ideas ? <_<:P also when using this 2 die set do i have to use a die crimp also ? as got mixed views on this or will just the neck sizing just be ok , watched too many you tube videos already .

Edited by blindeye

Have you read the instructions right as you should be able to seat a bullet well into the case with these dies set right. The powder would compress & is ok as some loads are compressed thats why thet have a small c on the load data. Even with 50g bullets you should be able to seat them deep in the case have you screwed the seating plug on the top of the die down to adjust the depth??. As for the collet neck die it needs quite a bit force to work it ie 50lb torque. Have you screwed the dies in till they touch the shell holder when up. The bullet seating die can be backed off to just miss the shell holder & as for crimping i do all mine as my rifle lands is well out so my bullets are long which will reduce when i rebarrel. If you do as sako751sg says with a sized unprimed case by seating a long bullet in the said case then try it in your rifle the bore will push the bullet in & give you your rifles seating depth. I do this with a cut case as i prefer it over an AOL-gauge hope this helps.

Hi,

I use a bog standard Challenger press and had a similar problem with my 223 and 55gr V-Max. It wasn't to the same extent as yours but suffice to say that the bullet would not seat as far in as it should have been able to. Have been loading for a good few years and was happy that I was doing nowt wrong and had never had this problem before with the 243. Double checked to make sure that I hadn't screwed up, checked dead length seater had actually hit the stop and not thread bound, all well. Money where mouth is and a VERY small amount at a time ground down the seater insert until the bullet would seat at the MOAL. Finished off ensuring it was flat and smooth. All well now but please don't ask why that should hve happened, because I haven't a clue except that in the millions that they produce someone put in the wrong insert.

Cheers

I think you need to ajust your bullet seating die . Screw the bullet seating die down untill it just lightly touch the shell holder . Then screw down the bullet ajustment depth screw at the top of the die to the overall length you require .

Harnser .

Hi,

I use a bog standard Challenger press and had a similar problem with my 223 and 55gr V-Max. It wasn't to the same extent as yours but suffice to say that the bullet would not seat as far in as it should have been able to. Have been loading for a good few years and was happy that I was doing nowt wrong and had never had this problem before with the 243. Double checked to make sure that I hadn't screwed up, checked dead length seater had actually hit the stop and not thread bound, all well. Money where mouth is and a VERY small amount at a time ground down the seater insert until the bullet would seat at the MOAL. Finished off ensuring it was flat and smooth. All well now but please don't ask why that should hve happened, because I haven't a clue except that in the millions that they produce someone put in the wrong insert.

Cheers

thanks m8 . have done what you have done and it done the trick . cheers .