rabbits

monkey

As a 22 yr old chap i enjoy nothing better than having a walk round with the air rifle and a friend bagging a few bunnies for dinner :);) . My problem is that some of the areas to shoot are not very stealth friendly :lol: is it possble to put up a hide and merely wait for them to come with in range? Also how hard is long netting to do? :*)

Yes, you can shoot them from a hide,sit in a well concealed hide down-wind of an area where rabits feed regulary, such as a field bordering some hedge row warrens. Itis important though not to run out of the hide to collect each rabbit, (providing dead) after it has been shot , as this leaves your scent around and vibrates the ground alerting underground rabbits to hold up down there.

. The dead rabbits will not deter others and in my experience can even attract them. Hope this helps, if not feel free to PM me

Cool :lol: thankyou for your reply that was good news :) , the some not so little bunnies were starting to become far to cautious. :lol: and i think i hide ;) will be a good way to go.

I have heard also that mixy rabbits are still ok for the pot is this true. the thought puts me off also would they be ok for a ferret to consume :lol: ?

I have read this is true, but i have never eaten one. My ferret used to catch Mixy rabbits above ground if they were far gone. but the problem was that they were oftern crawling with fleas which used to end up all over him and me ;) . so if you are going to feed them to a fereret id hang them up for a couple of days then the fleas jump off, befor processing them. :lol:

I know a lot of people who claim to have eaten mixy rabbits, with no apparent side effects, (except perhaps a difficulty in telling the truth ;) )

As mixy is a disease carried in the animals blood, I have never fancied eating the meat.

I would also mention that most of the 1000's of healthy rabbits I have shot, or netted, have been covered in fleas.

Don't take fleas as a sign of illness, or unsuitable table fare. :lol:

Re insects and such - I've shot a load of rabbits this summer and at times they had flies all over them as I left them in heaps until I'd finished the session when I'd gut and bag them. Problem was, some of my recipients complained that by the time they got to skinning them a day and a bit later, they were crawling with maggots. After that, I dropped them in a big freezer overnight in the black binbag and then thawed them out and gave them away. No more maggots. I guess the eggs don't do well after a spell at minus 20 centigrade. I must have about thirty odd rabbits in their skins in the freezer now. I don't know if anyone can come up with a reason not to do this, but it does seem to knack the parasites - fleas as well.

Yes - I know what you mean. My feeling is, I freeze them within three hours of shooting them, process them when convenient and either use immediately or freeze them as burgers for use as required. Basically, they've been frozen until they're used.