Into the wind...

Terrierist

I know I may struggle tomorrow, Field I am shooting over only allows me to set my hide up with my face into the wind... What would be the best way of setting the deeks out?

The spinney I'll be sat in is on the edge of a track and the field runs up to the spinney. This is the only place I can perch without sitting in a dyke..

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Kev

Kev, this may sound silly to you, but have you seen where in the field the birds are feeding ? or where the flight lines are ? or even if they are on the field at all.

Without seeing your land it's hard to give any accurate advice, but why is there only one place on the field to set up a hide ?

With a bit of planning or thought you must be able to set up in a more suitable place, even if it means a ditch or low fence.... as long as you can get a good foot hold and make sure you've a good back to your hide and don't move around, you should be able to set up virtually anywhere.... the Pigeons soon get used to a bit of netting sticking out in a field.... just as long as they don't see you !.....just might mean a bit more work or discomfort.

Of course if they are flying near the position you mention, just put the decoys out roughly into the wind as normal, but just make sure the killing zone is far enough out for you to get a good shot off, and still give you time for a second shot should they drop back with the wind when spooked....... or missed :yes:

If what i've suggested really is not possible , please say so .... and we'll think again.

Dave

If the wind is strong, and I believe we will be getting good wind all over the UK today, then set up the deeks directly in front at 50-60 yds out. The reason for the long distance is to allow the birds plenty of scope to turn into the deeks in front of you, the only fly in the ointment is when the flightline is 90" to the wind as they will be coming in too far out, if this happens then make the "U" shape decoy pattern tighter so the birds have to turn in front of you, bouncers would also help to funnel them in too.

Thanks Dave and Henry for the replies...

As suspected today wasn't anywhere near as good as yesterday!

The reason I have to set up facing into wind is that the field is surrounded by wide dykes, and is open on 3 sides, there isn't a way you could stand still, comfortable or dry (!) for long with the width of the dykes.

Set the deeks and hide up, deeks 30 yds or so out, upwind of me... Went back to the car to get the musket and blow me, there are 5 sat in the deeks!

Didn't shoot at them they rose away and off they toddled, two mins later, a single came in, wide about 40 yds and Boff!! Kev 1 Piddy 0. That was it, the wood behind me exploded and about 250 came out waving wing feathers in a V and blowing raspberries... never to be seen for the rest of the day.

I moved to my spinney for an hour and was rewarded with 2 more birds, should've been 3, I was sure I nailed one but could I find it? 3 Birds, 5 shots, can't always be "red letter days"!!

Best to all

Kev :huh:

And there's me thinking you really meant ditches , not dykes !!!

Though i suppose you could allways build a raft or something and put a hide on that .... and then drift around your field to the right spot.....or get a dry suit and wade round in the dyke ...... then again , maybe i should just take my tablets and keep quiet.......

Anyway, at least you had a day out and had a couple of birds as reward..... and that has got to be better than sitting indoors as i am....

Dave