Last couple of weekends shooting

400_racer

Hi all, just thought id share my brother and mines shooting trips from the last couple of weekends, hope you enjoy!

Last weekend my brothers friend came over and brought his 3 rifles with him, not having an FAC ourselves we were looking forward to using the rifles and seeing a different type of shooting :lol: Went went on one of his permissions first, an old disused quary which turned out to be a massive site! It had several reservoirs with lots of ducks and geese, also saw phesants, partridges (cant wait for the season to start again :lol: ) deer and what we came for...rabbits and pigeon :lol:

We first set up some targets to check the zero on the rifles and for us to have a go, all good. He had his 17hmr and 22lr, which were fun to shoot but paled into insignificance when we had a shot with the .243, this was something else! He hasnt got a silencer for it yet and to say it went off with a 'boom' is an understatement! We both looked at each other and thought 'weve gotta get one of these' :P

.243 put away, we went for a drive round looking for bunnies, unfortunately they wernt playing ball (they'll still be there for next time :lol: ) so we headed off to the wood for some roost shooting. Ther were lots of pigeons coming in but they were very skitish, keeping high and turning away at the last minute making for some tricky shooting. We ended with a meesly 3 :good: , but it was good fun all the same.

We ended the evening going lamping at my bro's work, the rabbits are making a right mess of the playing fields so we were hopefull for an action packed evening...and we got it! We turned up and there were 3 right inside the gate, we pulled in, car off, lamp on, 3 cleanly shot bunnies...great start! :lol: Driving round the fields we got several more, including 2 for one shot from me hehe, as i was lining one up, the other hopped directly behind it....concentrating on the first one, i hadnt spotted this...squeezed the trigger and to my surprise promptly saw two drop :hmm: . Once we'd done a lap of the fields and were back at the gate, the rabbits were out again :yes: so we did another lap and got a few more. Total count for the evening was 13 :lol: .

Me and me bro were so impressed with the effectiveness of the .22 and .17hmr that were gonna seriously look into getting an FAC. They just knock them stone dead, and at ranges we'd never seen before being used to air rifles. All in all a great day that we'll hopefully do again soon.

post-4934-1268658932.jpg

And just quickly, we went roost shooting yesterday on my new permission. (I got this permission a month or so ago, and the farm has given me 800acres of rape to shoot on :lol::yes: , going from nigh on no rape to this, ive sure got me hands full!) In their small copse with the rain hammering down :lol: , there wernt as many birds as usual coming in but we still got 3 between us :lol: All now in the fridge ready for the pot :yes:

Anyone know what this bird has been eating apart from rape? Looks like phungi or something, any ideas? never seen it before.

post-4934-1268659751.jpg post-4934-1268659762.jpg

post-4934-1268659774.jpg

That fungi could possibly be potatoes only a guess without seeing it. ;) good nite at the bunnies fella :hmm:

Thanks, it was a cracking night, plenty more still there too :lol: . Good shout on the potatoes, could well have been. One of the pigeons only had that stuff in it, which kinda stopped me in me tracks a bit when i saw it :good:

good shooting! how do you take the breats bone ut like that? i usually just cut the breast meat out.

Try this mate, its fair quick once you get the hang of it.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=37772

Im just cooking one now trying this recipe, bet it doesnt turn out as good as his though! haha

.......to get your bird moist...we'll see :yes: Edited by 400_racer