First batch from my latest shotmaker

I used to use range lead so there was no problem, but now all I have is roofing lead, Iv'e not had any luck melting linotype into it, and now have none left,and the last time I enquired at my local tyre fitters he said he couldent sell me wheel weights, helth and safty !?!

Where do you get yours ?

Mick.

The cheapest 2 litre bottles are to be found in BM (Bargain Madness) 85 pence!

DCP_3456.jpg

DCP_3459.jpg

You blokes have pm.

FC

that looks a nice compact set up :yes: thought of making my own shot but a bit short on storage how much would a setup like that cost?If you havent already spotted the name i shoot mostly steel shot but i do shoot a lot of 410 in the off season would it be alot of hassle for 20kg a year :hmm: the shot looks great by the way cheers UK fowler

that looks a nice compact set up :yes: thought of making my own shot but a bit short on storage how much would a setup like that cost?If you havent already spotted the name i shoot mostly steel shot but i do shoot a lot of 410 in the off season would it be alot of hassle for 20kg a year ;) the shot looks great by the way cheers UK fowler

You would be better off buying some off one of us cheerful souls if that's all you shoot and you are only doing it to save money.

If you want a really interesting and satisfying addition to your hobby then make some :hmm:

You would be better off buying some off one of us cheerful souls if that's all you shoot and you are only doing it to save money.

If you want a really interesting and satisfying addition to your hobby then make some :yes:

if you offering mr hedges you are indeed a gent i have maybe 20kg+of skrap lead and i can get as many spent centre fire rounds as you want think there is 6 buckets full at the range?if you fancy a trade let me know your only down the road from me :good:or if you want cash how much for 20kg of 2.4mm uk7

Edited by UK fowler

The cheapest 2 litre bottles are to be found in BM (Bargain Madness) 85 pence!

DCP_3456.jpg

DCP_3459.jpg

You blokes have pm.

FC

We get it cheaper than that a friend bought a big country house 18 months ago and it has a big barn that is full of these big containers of fabric conditioner that the previous owner had left we estimated each one held between 2500 ..& 3000 ltrs and there was 60 of them, my friend said we could have as much as we wanted so John and myself nipped over the other day and got 20 gallons should see us for a while.. :D:hmm:

All you out there who are making lead shot here are a few thoughts to ponder on :lol: . Me and hawkeye only make No.7 and No.6 size shot for 12ga cartridges.

No.6 shot 2.77mm (0.109") dia. 225 pellets per ounce(approx).

Lead roof flashing: 0.3% to 0.5% Antimony. Linotype: 12% Antimony(Sb), 4%Tin(Sn), 84% Lead(Pb), Lyman#2 Bullet Ingots: 5%Sb, 5%Sn, 90%Pb.

Up to 0.5% Sb improves surface tension and hence rounder pellets and is generally sufficient for general purpose close range game and clays so you can get away with just using roof flashings.. For extra hard shot alloy the lead with linotype to roughly 2% Sb, if clay busting and medium range game (40/50 yds). For magnum hard shot and extreme clay busting (Fitasc) and those pigeons at 50yds + alloy with Sb to 6%Sb.

Magnum hard 4%Sb for No.6/9's and 6%Sb for No.7,71/2,8,81/2.

We tend to alloy our shot maker with the ratio of 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 lead/linotype and we have found this to give consistantly round and hard shot, taking pigeons well out to 50 plus yards. NB. hard shot patterns better at long range.

Bear in mind that every time you melt lead you will lose a quantity of Sb and other alloys due to dross forming on the surface that you will be skimming off before casting.

To check for relative hardness make up some small consistant sized ingots of known hardness, say some factory rounds (no.6 shot), place a ball bearing between your cast lead ingot (unknown hardness) squeeze in a vice for say 10 seconds (consistant pressure) and measure the indentations, alloy your lead to achieve the same indentation as factory lead, once achieved stick with it and you wont go far wrong.

Just one more point get yourself digital thermometer and DONT get lead too hot (we keep temp 350deg C) as lead fumes are deadly, always work in well ventillated room.Lead poisoning can kill and put you in hospital for a couple of years.

Arsenic is sometimes used in lead alloys as it is used to reduce surface tension, too much arsenic causes metal to shrink unevenly and causes cracking. Tin has opposite effect as arsenic and is therefore not generally added for shot making.

Hope this bit of info helps all you shot makers out there.....good hunting :hmm: :blink: :hmm: