where to place the rotary

miroku38

Theres no hard and fast rule in my experience of using a rotary. But generally at the head of the deeks, with the deeks down wind. I leave a gap of about 10 yards to the first deek and then arrange the decoys facing the wind in a horseshoe pattern with plenty of space between the decoy spread to allow room for the birds to land.

Have fun experimenting. and dont be frightened to take it down if it doesnt work. Sometimes the birds get wary of them particularly if its an area which has been regularly shot.

Good luck

FM.

PS if the rape is well forward as it is around here make the decoys are well off the rape or set up in a bare patch.

jonno

that’s a fab post,

Miroku

Highlander is a Pigeon Guru, You could ask, but....If you ever want a great day out p m him, he runs guided trips and will pass on lots of tips,

Mind, you have to cross his palm with silver you know what these Jocks are like :lol::lol::lol:

Nice way to turn a coin though, I am just jealous :oops:

pavman

I usually put mine out to one side of the main pattern, I reckon it gets the attention of birds from a distance and they then see the main pattern as they approach. I've often had pigeons flying round with the magnet decoys !!.

Yesterday was very windy here and I used my home made magnet to good effect, picked up just 58 woodies so no record bag but a good day to be out. I had birds landing and feeding amongst dead pigeons I was using as decoys.

Rooster

1. Do you only use dead birds or plastic deaks too? If you do use the artificials which type do you think are the most effective and how many are needed, in your opinion?

2. Also, I have a field where the birds like to feed just beyond a hedge and I can't shoot that field for safety reasons. With the wind usually coming from behind me, how do I get the birds to fly beyond their normal patch and come into a pattern beyond the hedge? Your advice would be much appreciated :lol:

I start off with a pattern of shell decoys, usually only a dozen then get the magnet on the go with the first two tidy birds I shoot. I use the magnet on most days out now, made mine with good rotor bearings so not too badly affected by strong winds.

Like to put out dead birds as soon as possible as they are better IMHO. I've made up spring pegs for the shells so that they bob about in even a slight breeze.

As far as pulling birds from the next field you'd have to see the set up/wind direction etc. to make a valid suggestion but it is amazing what yu can make them do with a bit of thought and planning.

Hi Rooster, Just reading your post and seen your from Towcester. Thats where i come from but been living in Poole for just over 10 years now. Surprised you've found somewhere to shoot as every time i've passed through ( not for a couple of years now ) there's more and more built there.

Jim.

Hi Rooster, Just reading your post and seen your from Towcester. Thats where i come from but been living in Poole for just over 10 years now. Surprised you've found somewhere to shoot as every time i've passed through ( not for a couple of years now ) there's more and more built there.

Jim.

Tend to get out and about a bit to find the pigeons Jim, funnily enough we shot a big bag recently within hearing distance of my house !