243 ackley

hi all ,just had a rifle made in 243 ackley, currently fireforming cases using 42 grain varget behind a 70 grain nosler B/tip will be shooting 70-80 grain bullets for foxes does anybody have a suitable load for this calibre :D

Vit 160 is th best powder i have found,I have run an AI for over 7 years and iam on my second barrel,i use 68gr Bergers with a charge of 51gr of Vit 160,its runs at 3770 FPS it will run 3850 but this load is red hot and wrecks cases the rifle produces 1.5 inch groups at 500 yards

with a 70 gr you can use aroundthe same powder charge,i did use varget but i found i got a carbon fouling building up around the throat plus you cant get a nice full case with varget

i have used vit 160 to fireform as well ,it was clover leaf at 100 yards 47grain behind a 70 nos ,got a few tubs of varget kicking about want to use up ,have you any thoughts on reloader 19 .i will prob use vit 160 but want to see what other optoins are available ,do you seat to the lands or not i am seating to 3,238 using a bullet comparator , :D

i have used vit 160 to fireform as well ,it was clover leaf at 100 yards 47grain behind a 70 nos ,got a few tubs of varget kicking about want to use up ,have you any thoughts on reloader 19 .i will prob use vit 160 but want to see what other optoins are available ,do you seat to the lands or not i am seating to 3,238 using a bullet comparator , :D

alwasy seat onto the land to fireform then after that seat the bullet wjhere your rifle likes its,mine has always shot off the lands by about 2 to 5 thou just so the bullet dosent get pulled out if I have to un chamber.

also get the correct neck tension i presume you are using redding comp bushing die to neck size and the comp seater,also it halps if running a not load to bump the shoulder back 2 thou every couple of firings again use the redding shoulder bump die

yes using redding comp dies seating into lands to fire form so no headspace ,using lapua brass shooting a respectable group at moment only neck sizing got afew more rounds to go before i get my required quanity of fireformed cases , hence the questions dont want to leave it to the last minute ,excuse my ignorance m8 but very little knowledge of this calibre used to shooting a standard 243 & 6.5 x55 ,thank you for your info :D

now finished loading a few rounds to try ,done 44,45,46 grain varget behind a 70 nosler & berger 43.5 ,44.5 varget behind a 75 v-max also done 51 grain vit behind 70 grain berger & nosler ,aol is 3238 .now raining so have to have a shot tomorrow ,in your opinion is 51 grain of vit the max you would use

made up a few various rounds today ,found that vit 160 behind 75 vmax worked best & varget behind a 70 berger both were clover leafing holeing @ 130 not bad considering a bit of a windy day, oal was 3238 now gonna play about with this to reduce size of groups

• 4 weeks later...
Ive just tried a new bullet today in my AI 74gr precission ballistic,these are hand made,I just guessed the powder sat the bullet 4 thou off the lands,well I will let the photo do the talking 5 shots,I dropped the 5 shot a little low

Picture173.jpg

That's a cracking group Ackley, like you say, shame you dropped the 5th shot but still a very good group all the same!

I have just picked up 350 of those 74gr PB's for my .243AI, can't wait to get a load sorted for em' with Varget!

Regards,Sprags