Oh the irony

Billy.

My lab isn't well at all. We just can't work out what's wrong with him. He's getting on a bit and he's starting to seize up and get a bit arthritic. However over the last two weeks, he's got so bad that he can't get up and is constantly yelping in pain.

I would have put that down to arthritis, but even checking in his mouth, he yelps and really cries in pain. Plus, when he gets up, if it's a really painful effort, he shakes his head like he would if he's wet and he yelps like mad!

I seriously think he's got a trapped nerve, as it's a different part of his body every day and we've had to put his water and food bowls on the first step of the stairs as he can't bend his neck down towards the floor... Does anyone have any experience of this and are the symptoms similar to a trapped nerve?

Any help is most appreciated, :good:

could be allsorts, the head shaking could be a sign of an ear infection or trapped nerve, vets is the best answer and sounds like something like rimadyl for the rest of his days would ease the arthritic pain but there is obviously something else thats an issue.

could be allsorts, the head shaking could be a sign of an ear infection or trapped nerve, vets is the best answer and sounds like something like rimadyl for the rest of his days would ease the arthritic pain but there is obviously something else thats an issue.

He is prone to ear infections, but we've always spotted if he's got one and this time there isn't one.

You know when a dog's been lying down for a bit and they get up and have a shake, it's that, but he doesn't get to do it because it hurts too much

my lab was only 6 years old and was similar to this , various vets saw him and eventually said it was a nerve problem , nothing could be down except Rimadyl every day , eventually i had to have him put to sleep , i still miss him like mad and sometimes shed a tear when looking at his pics .

one thing i will say mate , and you dont want to hear it , is please dont let your dog suffer if he,s in that much pain -- sorry :good:

My old Springer had a trapped nerve in her back leg which was arthritic too as she'd had a ruptured ligament years previous, she suffered with muscle wastage but like most Spaniels with a stoic nature she just got on with it, poor old girl :good:

Has he lost any muscle at all??

Cat Scan and Lab Test

A man runs into the vet's office carrying his dog, screaming for help. The vet rushes him back to an examination room and has him put his dog down on the examination table. The vet examines the still, limp body and after a few moments tells the man that his dog, regrettably, is dead.

The man, clearly agitated and not willing to accept this, demands a second opinion. The vet goes into the back room and comes out with a cat and puts the cat down next to the dog's body. The cat sniffs the body, walks from head to tail poking and sniffing the dog's body and finally looks at the vet and meows. The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the cat thinks that your dog is dead too."

The man is still unwilling to accept that his dog is dead. The vet brings in a black Labrador. The lab sniffs the body, walks from head to tail, and finally looks at the vet and barks. The vet looks at the man and says, "I'm sorry, but the lab thinks your dog is dead too."

The man, finally resigned to the diagnosis, thanks the vet and asks how much he owes. The vet answers, "$650." "$650 to tell me my dog is dead?" exclaimed the man.... "Well," the vet replies, "I would only have charged you $50 for my initial diagnosis. The additional $600 was for the cat scan and lab tests."

My old Springer had a trapped nerve in her back leg which was arthritic too as she'd had a ruptured ligament years previous, she suffered with muscle wastage but like most Spaniels with a stoic nature she just got on with it, poor old girl :birthday:

Has he lost any muscle at all??

This is what gets me. If you saw him out on a walk, you'd think he's a fit young dog. He sprints around at such speed, without any limping or yelping. It's just after he's been lying down for a while and he tries to get up...

I know he's not lost an muscle. He's getting plenty of exercise and he's always wanting to go for a walk :good:

This is what gets me. If you saw him out on a walk, you'd think he's a fit young dog. He sprints around at such speed, without any limping or yelping. It's just after he's been lying down for a while and he tries to get up...

I know he's not lost an muscle. He's getting plenty of exercise and he's always wanting to go for a walk :good:

I mentioned muscle wastage as this happens with certain trapped nerves, irrespective of excersize. Seems like his arthritis is taking hold a bit........the other dog I had at the time was badly arthritic as she had dysplacia, (I wasn't lucky with either of them health wise), the vet put her on Serequin I think it was which worked very well.

Edited by ziplex

The thing is though, is that he was fine 2 weeks ago, albeit that it was a bit of an effort for him to move about after a massive walk, but only because he's getting old!

The Springer I had with bad Arthritis was generally ok but did suffer noticeably after a longer walk when she then tried to get up after a nap. It did get quite bad in a short space of time which was when she was put on medication for it. Hopefully you'll get a positive result in that it's something that can be treated, it's amazing what a dose of Metacam and ongoing treatment can achieve.......fingers crossed for the old boy :good: