spitting dummies

Ackley

i have a cracking lab bitch just coming up 2 years old this month,whe retrieves game fine works in water,steady to the gun,walks to heel whist iam stalking,works a blood trail

sounds great dosent it,but she wont deliver dummies with out dropping then

when i try to put them back into here mouth she rolls over

teach her the HOLD command. when she spits the dummie then you pick it up and shove it back in. its a battle of wits and most of the time the dog wins as owner loses pations but i have been doing this for the last 2 weeks with my cocker and he is starting to get the message. he is almost 2 as well. theres a sticky at the top to get you started but you must win, not the dog.

Phil

Avoid eye contact as the dog approaches, Crouch down a bit to be less intimidating. Half-turn away at the shoulder so your outstretched hand recedes on approach. As the dog is encouraged to enter your space swing your other arm over the dog and stroke and heap praise on it. Don't snatch at the dummy.

well just come back in,ent out for a walk and had 15 mins on the dummies,when she brought it back I moved backed and fussed her with it still in here mouth,when told to sit she spat it,i picked it up and placed it in her nouth with the hold command,

I just gently held it in place comtinuing saying hold

i took my hands away still saying hold untill she drooped it,did this a few times untill I could leave it in here mouth for a few moments

she seemed to respond quite well,I didnt want to do it too much so a few mins a day to start i think

well just come back in,ent out for a walk and had 15 mins on the dummies,when she brought it back I moved backed and fussed her with it still in here mouth,when told to sit she spat it,i picked it up and placed it in her nouth with the hold command,

I just gently held it in place comtinuing saying hold

i took my hands away still saying hold untill she drooped it,did this a few times untill I could leave it in here mouth for a few moments

she seemed to respond quite well,I didnt want to do it too much so a few mins a day to start i think

quote]

good news, when she brings the dummy into you stroke her under her chin, lifting her head up, telling her softly she is a good girl. when you take the dummy off her praise with a high squeeky voice & lots of fuss, turn it into a game.

there is no need to get her to sit before giving the retrieve up, unless you want her to.

good luck

Lee

i do this excercise when indoors , just get my dog to "sit up" in front of me nice and calm and place the dummy in her mouth hand under her chin and a "hold" command , took a week or 2

now as she opproaches me with a retrieve i tell her "hold" and "sit up" , 8 times out of 10 she does naturally now , if she drops it at your feet i NEVER pick it up , just back away and give the hold command until she hands it to me .