Bleaching Roe deer skull

Lez325

I have a nice Roe Deer Buck Skull- from one of my shoots- it has a cracking pair of antlers and is in good condition

whats the best way to bleach this item prior to mounting>>:look:?

Les :blush:

Les

Wouldn't a couple of tablespoons of bleech in a bucket of water and then the scull left in the solution for a couple of days do it. That way the concentration shouldn't be strong enough to do any damage?

Paul

I have a nice Roe Deer Buck Skull- from one of my shoots- it has a cracking pair of antlers and is in good condition

whats the best way to bleach this item prior to mounting>>:look:?

Les :blush:

Try a phone call to the Natural History museum in London. They should know

Bill

Les you will need to buy some hydrogen peroxide from the chemist. I use 9%. Buy a couple of 200 mls bottles. You will also need some cotton wool. Make sure all the flesh and gristle has been removed and if you are going to cut the skull now is the time. Cover all the white skull bone with a fairly thin lair of the wool then place in a plastic container. Make sure the wool is not touching the antlers. Pour the hydroen peroxide carefully over the wool and skull but not the antlers and periodically keep spooning it over aagin and again. About 24 hours should do. After this time remove the wool and rince under cold water then leave to dry in a warm place. Mount on a plack and job done. Hope this helps, 243 win.

also when boiling the skull, it's worth chucking a handful of washing soda crystals in with it - degreases it nicely.

don't boil them in the house either (especially not fox) - use a camping stove / bbq ring etc. they can stink something rotten.

I boiled a fallow in the house once! :yes:

They can smell so I dont advise it after my problems :yes: ..however what I can say is, get some hydrogen peroxide, you can buy it from 3% to 35%, its not strength that gets them really white, its coats, buy 9% and keep painting it on all day, with about 1 hour inbetween each coat, a hot day is best, and you will find it goes nice white.

Steve