Best Scope for about £100

Dunkield

Two of the better sub £100 scopes are the 3-10x44 Reflex and the AGS 3-9x40 Elite. The AGS has the better optics and build quality by some margin but a useless reticle compared to the Reflex. The newer MAP reticled Hawkes are a big improvement over their older stablemates too. The 50mm Hawkes are ****.

I've looked through many expensive scopes and the difference between 30mm and 1 inch is ZERO. The quality of the glass is the main determining factor in brightness for a given mag. A 50mm lens is far harder to grind to a high standard than a 40mm one and a good 40mm will always pan an average 50mm. Sub £100 I've found almost exclusively the 50mm and bigger lenses to be inferior by some margin to smaller objectives. Big numbers impress the average punter though and 50mm sounds so much more impressive than 40mm so they sell. It's only when you get to the quality of Meopta and higher that the 50mm starts to outshine the 40mm as a general rule as you are then getting top quality lenses at all sizes and to use the boxing term - "a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un"

If like me you have a limited budget to operate with and no serious money to spend then my advice would be buy at the top end of the spectrum where the likes of Simmons($300) are concerned as opposed to the bottom end where the top Europeon scopes are concerned............And import ..........you'll make serious savings :D

Yes it would be a smidt ,kahles or a swaro and i only dream of the day i have some daft money to throw around :thumbs: ;):D

Ive :lol:

I've looked through many expensive scopes and the difference between 30mm and 1 inch is ZERO. The quality of the glass is the main determining factor in brightness for a given mag.

But is this in daylight or in the "twilight"?

No matter what the size of lense they will be the same in the daylight!

It is only when the light goes that you can tell the difference, to the greatest effect.

I've looked through many expensive scopes and the difference between 30mm and 1 inch is ZERO. The quality of the glass is the main determining factor in brightness for a given mag.

You are of course absolutely correct, but let's not get in to that one again, we could be here for months :thumbs:

Is it true .177 aiguns are better than .22?? not sure myself just something I heard the other day. . .

Saw in this months Airgunner mag in Smiths a company called "stringtown supplies" have a sale on Nikko Stirling scopes.

The company is in Polgate East Sussex about 10 mins from Eastbourne on the A22.

They also do mailorder.

Hope this helps.

Im surprised WHSmiths havent banned you from reading all the mags berfore putting them back on the shelves. :thumbs: ;)