Best Scope for about £100

Dunkield

Ok I sure this has been asked a 'millyun' times before, and don't be afriad to link me back to old posts if it has, but...

What, in your opininion is the best 3-9x50 (or similar) Mildot scope for under 100 quid?

I used to have a Hawke Reflex and a Pro-Stalk and to be honest I preferred the Reflex, are there newer/better scopes out there now?

I didn't like the focus ring as it was impractical in the field, as you never realy know what range you are going to take a shot at and there isn't time to adjust it. IMHO the Reflex was clearer and smaller for the same magnification (and didn't need high mounts). I may have had a bad one, but I sold it for more than I paid for it, so all's well that ends well :lol: I hope I didn't sell it to you though :*)

Well of course there are the expensive scopes out there but my money would be any of the superb Nikko sterling range. Each and every scope I have looked through from the Nikko range has been nothing less than perfect. They give superb value for money and a crystal clear image. It will be my first port of call when I need a new scope for my .17HMR when the ticket is approved.

Ive no idea about the AGS, my venture into decent glass is very limited infact in its infancy. With the range of rifles currently at my disposal and due to be at my disposal its unlikely i'll be spending too much on scopes anyway. But as I said earlier out of all the brands ive looked through so far, the Nikko Sterling scopes are far superior. I guess alot of this is personal chice, but until someone can show the the pro's and cons against a much more expensive alternative, i'll stick with them.

Edited by Axe

AGS Ok I have one on one of my rifles it's ok but it is still only a low/middle of the range scope. It all depends on what you are using it for and how far you are scoping in. Buying a top of the range scope is all well and good but if it's going on a low end rifle then what's the point. Spend the max you can and you will get the best you can afford LOL LOL it's the only way.

Cheers

Jas

Cheers Snake, I'll have a look at those.

We could get into a whole new thread here but . . .

Good quality optics/coatings and to a slightly lesser extent larger objective lenses gather more light.

Larger diameter tubes only allow more elevation and windage adjustment (S&B + others do 34mm tubes on their long range scopes) they don't actually allow any more light in.

I know what you are thinking "if he thinks he knows all about scopes why is he asking for advice" :lol::lol::lol:

Good quality optics/coatings and to a slightly lesser extent larger objective lenses gather more light.

Larger diameter tubes only allow more elevation and windage adjustment (S&B + others do 34mm tubes on their long range scopes) they don't actually allow any more light in.

I know what you are thinking "if he thinks he knows all about scopes why is he asking for advice" :thumbs: :lol::lol:

who told you that?:P? :lol:

the larger the objective lens the more light it can gather, just think about a telescope (as used by patrick more) the bigger the lens the clearer the image.

use of the coatings do help, but you got it the wrong way round the coatings help to a lesser extent/

and as for the 30mm+ tubes only allowing for a bit more windage and elevation adjkustment LOL who told you that?:P? not only have you got a nice big objective lens right at the front but you also have huge (in comparison to a 25mm scope) lenses all the way down the scope enabaling the scope to transfer more light to the exit lens (sorry technical talk never been my strong point).

compare a 30mm+ scope to a 25mm scope and then tell me there is no difference LOL

the only exeption to this rule would have to be the simmons white tail classic 1.5-5x20 YES 20mm objectivelens!!!!! and probably one of the brightest little scope i have seen. if your only shooting out to about 35 yards would well be worth having a look at one of these either new (ABOUT £100) or second hand (about £60) e3xcellent under rated scope thugh only coe sin the 30/30 ret :(

but all this is pretty much redundant as you would be very lucky to coe across a 30mm scope for under £100.

as for which scope is best? firstly what is the scope going to be used for?

secondly what do you need from the scope? (please note the word NEED not WANT two totally different words!)

do you need range finding?

do you need mil dot?

do you need illuminated reticle?

what magnification do you need?

you will find the one or all of the above will be in a similar price bracket within a few ££££s the way they have been able to do this is by putting cheaper and cheaper lenses in teh scopes to enable the price to stay low.

so a basic 3-9x40 30/30 reticle scope will have the best lenses. as well as there being less to go wrong.

me i have shot with a basic 3-9x40 30/30 reticle bushnell trophy for the past 3 yaers and havnt had any problems with range finding or magnification as most ofmy shooting is done on 6x mag at the most. its short compact and does pretty much everything i need it to :)

ROB :)

compare a 30mm+ scope to a 25mm scope and then tell me there is no difference LOL

I have, many many times and there isn't any

I was going to chop my 25mm tube Schmidt and Bender in for a 30mm when they first came out and everyone, and I mean everyone, told me I was wasting my time/money.

Having had a good look through both I have to agree.

The light gathering thing has been done to death elsewhere, all I can say is people who know far more about it than you and me will tell you it's all in quality of the glass and the coatings. A cr4p 56mm scope will gather far less light than a really decent 40mm scope.

Have alook through some Lieca 8x32mm binoculars and see what I mean, bit brighter than toys r us 10x50's any day. :thumbs: :lol::lol:

fight fight fight!!

Now before it all kicks off again everyone draw breath and count to ten :thumbs: :lol:

Physics will prove that a 30mm tube will let in more light than a 25mm tube.

BUT..... this will only become noticable in low light enviroments. As it gets dark of an evening you will get a 15 min advantage (at a guess) with a 30mm tube.

Optical quality is of the upmost importance so we are all agreed on that one. :lol:

So at the end of the day everybody is right and we can all be nice!

(please)

nope im the first to admit it when im wrong :thumbs:

the only scopes i have been able to compare side by side are the lower end of the market scopes hawke/sidewinder/nikkon. and in these there is a definate difference when it comes to the tube size.

when it comes to top class glass i have very litle experiance with these.

but i would agree with you that it is the quality of the optics over the size of the optics :lol: like i said about the little WTC scope a 20mm ob lens and still one of the brightest scopes i have looked through at dusk.

ROB :lol:

Physics will prove that a 30mm tube will let in more light than a 25mm tube.

BUT..... this will only become noticable in low light enviroments. As it gets dark of an evening you will get a 15 min advantage (at a guess) with a 30mm tube.

Depends on the scope...

Some 30mm tube scopes are exacty that... 30mm optics all the way down and yes more light will pass through...

On the other hand... some 30mm scopes merely have a set of 25mm gizzards in a 30mm tube to give more elevation and windage adjustment but no more light passes through...

Regards

Tony

Quality of scopes ...................As anyone stopped and considered the quality of their own eyesight :lol::lol:

Yes I'm sure there are mr Magoos out there with Smidt s just as there are the Steve Austins(bionic man )with a Simmons.............No 2 people are the same .

The true test comes when Foxing .................And by that i mean outline deffinition of a animal at 200+yds under lamp conditions and not relying on eye reflection.

SMIDT & BENDER prove there worth in this senario................But what about a KAHLES,,,,,,,,,only the oldest scope manufacturer in the World.

Back to the original question.

Well it should be $200...........Buy from the States and save yourself £100 :P and get a Simmons AETEC

Ive

PS IT was Steve Austin with the Bionic Eye was'nt it :thumbs: :lol:

Quality of scopes ...................As anyone stopped and considered the quality of their own eyesight :lol::lol:

PS IT was Steve Austin with the Bionic Eye was'nt it :thumbs: :lol:

You are right on both counts!

I do not have the best of eyes and for a while it was hard work spotting them. Practice has improved this by a long mark. However I have had no problems looking through scopes (and at air rifle ranges I should hope not :P ).

Who played the Bionic woman then??

Quality of scopes ...................As anyone stopped and considered  the quality of their own eyesight :)  :)

PS IT was Steve Austin with the Bionic Eye was'nt it :P  :P

You are right on both counts!

I do not have the best of eyes and for a while it was hard work spotting them. Practice has improved this by a long mark. However I have had no problems looking through scopes (and at air rifle ranges I should hope not :( ).

Who played the Bionic woman then??

Lynsay Wagner i think. :thumbs: :lol::lol::lol: