.22LR Barrel Length

Axe

In an attempt to figure out which rifle, which moderator, etc, I stumbled on upon a friend of mine using a CZ with an unknown moderator. It was rather narrow more cigar tube in size and the rifle has a full length barrel. Surprisngly this cheap looking outfit is very quiet indeed. The comparison I am making is against a carbine Anshutz with a logun on it. Given that the Anshutz is a better rifle and the moderator too probably, does the length of the barrel make a big difference to the overall report from a .22LR running say Eley Subs?

Axe,

I use an ancient Parker Hale moderator on my ruger 10/22, it's made of alloy so it's nice and light.

I don't really notice the report using subs, I think the action recycling makes more noise! No good for HVs though. I've seen them advertised for about £30.

I used to have a BRNO sa with the same moderator but a longer barrel and I don't think there was any difference in noise. About as loud as a spring air rifle IMO.

Using subs the moderator has hardly any thing to do.

I have a SAK which is much shorter than the PH but make no difference to the sound.

HOWEVER if you use sonic ammo you can take the mod off and that makes no difference at all, it is loud with and loud without.

I have tried all combinations when a bored at the range one day.

Sorry I think I have thrown the question a little :*) , i'll re-word it......If for example, you were to take two identical CZ452's with the same moderator, 1 CZ with a 16" barrel and the other with a 20" barrel and fire a single sub through each, would the 16" be louder, quiter or the same as the longer barrel version?

This is a simple question of physics and to answer your question a shorter barrel will be louder firing exactly the same ammunition than that of a longer barrel because sound decays at a certin rate which is linked to both time and distance the shorter barrel will let the sound out quicker and the noise will be closer to you or atleast the majority of it will be.

Dave

i've had my cz 452 barrel shortened to 13 inches and it sounds exactly the same to me,i can hear the firing pin hit home under normal conditions, the loudest thing i hear is the bullet hitting the rabbit.

ps i use a carbon fibre mod.

Mel just out of curiosity, do you know what make and model the moderator is?

Sorry I think I have thrown the question a little :*) , i'll re-word it......If for example, you were to take two identical CZ452's with the same moderator, 1 CZ with a 16" barrel and the other with a 20" barrel and fire a single sub through each, would the 16" be louder, quiter or the same as the longer barrel version?

NO.

With subs they won't sound any different.

As stated you will struggle to hear any noise difference between any moderators either, they are all quiet.

All you should hear is the firing pin hitting the round, and the the rabbit skull shattering :thumbs: which is loudest sound of all and makes you wonder why you bothered to be quiet in the first place ;)

This is a simple question of physics and to answer your question a shorter barrel will be louder firing exactly the same ammunition than that of a longer barrel because sound decays at a certin rate which is linked to both time and distance the shorter barrel will let the sound out quicker and the noise will be closer to you or atleast the majority of it will be.

Dave

But the amount would be minimal surely?