Centre fire reloading

henry d

Henry,

I use Lee press and powder measure, RCBS dies and scales, I've loaded .22 Hornet, .222, .22-250 and .243 with this kit, and I've never had

"runout" that made any difference to accuracy.

I don't have my .222 any more, but I do have the .222 RCBS dies, and some federal "once fired" brass in .222. PM me if you're interested.

No disrespect to anyone on here who uses a LEE press. BUT the reason they are cheap is cos their made to a cheap end budget. Not saying they are **** but I too have owned and used for many years. I then went on to Dillon & Lyman presses

Henry

What you need is a Turret press. Single stage is very slow, changing dies and resetting them after each change

Porgressive is for PC. You've got to shoot **** loads to get the best out of one of these.

I use a turret press(Not LEE) use Lyman pay that bit extra.

Forster or Redding dies? Don't bother with all that bolloxs. We are not handloading for the Olympics target shooting team

Stick with RCBS dies like 99.9% of European and our American Cousins use

Don't buy the RCBS scales, ******* rubbish. Buy the Hornady scales. These are top bolloxs Henry

Sold this kit earlier in the year. this is a Dillon RL450/550 set up. RCBS scales(**** at £65 a set) with 357magnum RCBS carbide dies. Now these are quality dies for the wonga

Ebayitems011.jpg

Thats about it. Got your press, scales and dies

newfolder035.jpg

The red press is the LEE Progressive

The orange one is the Lyman junior. Its about 30 years old. Its now thorwn in a box somewhere. This was a beautiful little press and very very accurate, better than any LEE

Enyjoy reloading Henry. I know its very frightening at firat but you will get used to it

PS what RU reloading

Just done some 7mm Rem Mag- Very nice load especially shot from a rifle with a T8 magnum mod. No recoil and a very good NR

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

I use an “O” press due to the extra strength of the design. Most of the makers are as good as one another as far a the presses are concerned and an “Orange Crusher” is probably one of the best.

I used Lee dies for ages until one day I was able to buy a set of RCBS dies. What a difference, and although you can buy more expensive dies, they aren’t really necessary unless you are involved in Bench-rest shooting.

As for a turret press, I would say no, not for loading rifle rounds due to the fairly sloppy fit of the parts, which don’t really lend themselves to accurate bullet seating.

I have a Lee Turret press which is brilliant for loading .357 ammo’ and for throwing loads of lead down-range, which is not so critical when taking shots on a range. But when those shots need to hit less than 2 inches at 200 yds, then a solid press is necessary.

I would opt for a good set of RCBS, especially if you intend to neck-size, as the Lee neck-sizing dies have never worked well for me.

Get a good set of scales and a good powder thrower, then you can throw a charge up to a couple of 10ths of a grn short, and then weigh the remaining charge on the scales.

If you really want to get the most out of your ammo’, then you will also need one of these- http://www.stoneypoint.com/oal_index.html which will ensure perfect depth seating.

I don’t use one myself because I shoot from a standing position off shooting stix, and as long as I am shooting 1 MOA then I am satisfied with that.

I used to load up to the ‘enth degree, but it was a load of extra work for exactly the same results. :thumbs:

G.M.

Lee now do a Cast Iron Press at a reasonable price compared to other makes.

Get the cast Iron press for resizing and the lightweight Lee Challenger Press for seating the bullet. then you can leave both set up for short runs, without having to keep changing dies in one press.

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/reloading.php

Edited by rjimmer