need advice

Hi all,i collected my 9 wk old pup(teal by the way) on fri and she has settled in really well but i am worried about her at night,i have a cage for her with blanket and bed and toys etc,but i have left the cage door open at night and she has done the toilet in the living room a few times and ended sleeping on the couch for a while both nights,thats not a problem(the doing the loo in the livingroom that is!) and understand that she is still v young and will do this but should i be closing the door and then coming down at 2 am to let her out??

i have not given her water too late at night and feed her at 5ish, am i worrying too much as this is the first time i have had a pup. :thumbs: :D;)

weve got laminate down so its not that bad,she is last out about 10.30-11 pm then straight to bed.last feed is about 5pm latest and 8pm for last water.

Dave if the cage door is open at night which it is just now she can go out and climb on the sofa,i have thought about it but cant find an answer. i had put papr down but she avoided the areas i had put them in.

House Breaking

First off get rid of the newspaper. There is no sence teaching a pup to mess on paper in the house when you will just have to unteach him to get him to mess outside. Remember he will have to go out every time he wakes up, eats, has a play session, or has not been out for approx. an hour through the day. at 8 weeks he should make it through the night exspecially if you are crate training him. By the way crate train him this is a very important aspect to him in his future not only as a hunting dog being transported but as a faimly pet as well. When you take him out side to mess take him to the area you want him to use, tell him to go pee or what ever command you want to use and praise him when he goes. By giving a command to the emptying of the bladder and bowls you can teach him to releive himself much faster on those days you are pressed for time, or when it is really cold and uncomfortable to be outside. If he has an accident in the house scold him with a gruff NO, pick him up by the scruff and place him outside. Watch him when he finishes praise him telling him he is a good boy and bring him back in. Within 4 to 5 days he should be asking to go outside on his own.

thanks nttf,i will get rid of the paper asap, she is not lasting thru the nite leaving 2-3 little pressies for me to clean up but as i mentioned i am leaviung the cage door open at nite as if she is needing the loo i thought it would be better if she does not soil in her living area,is this a bad idea?i dont want to be cruel but neither do i want to ruin her and get her into bad habits.

once again thanks.

I got a bag of dry food from the breeder which is what she has been feed on in recent weeks but i am trying to mix it in with bakers puppy food roughly a handful of each at 7 am the same at lunch with a small amount of trout or pheasant or duck etc. mixed in and the same at 5pm latest,do you think this is too much?

i have been thinking of maybe giving her porridge or similar would this help?

Thanks

what type of food do you have her on? how much are you feeding her? when is her last meal at night?

This puppy should be able to last the night. I would close the door on her crate as most dogs will not soil their living area.

NTTF

Hows that book puppy to field, coming on?:thumbs:??

save a lot of posts ;)

pavman

I got a bag of dry food from the breeder which is what she has been feed on in recent weeks but i am trying to mix it in with bakers puppy food roughly a handful of each at 7 am the same at lunch with a small amount of trout or pheasant or duck etc. mixed in and the same at 5pm latest,do you think this is too much?

i have been thinking of maybe giving her porridge or similar would this help?

Thanks

Trout, Pheasant,and Duck, are all very ritch foods. I would suggest that youfeed only the puppy food until she is about 6 months old. Remember she is still developing her digestive track and I think that you may be over loading it.

I would also make her 5pm meal the smallest of the three.

what type of food do you have her on? how much are you feeding her? when is her last meal at night?

This puppy should be able to last the night. I would close the door on her crate as most dogs will not soil their living area.

NTTF

Hows that book puppy to field, coming on?:thumbs:??

save a lot of posts ;)

pavman

Pavman I would love to get it written but I am finding it hard to finish the updated training manual, all its needed is the addition of 8 more photos and I cant seem to find the time to get them done.

Cushie,

Don't worry too much about it, I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago. My springer Merlin used to leave presents for me every morning. As NTTF has said, keep your eye on her in the house as soon as she looks like going ( sniffing or circling around) take her straight outside. The command I was told to use was "Go quickly"

Merlin will now go and sit by the door and bark once to let you know he wants to go out.

I did use newspaper as that is what the breeder had used and he would always go on it at night. I suppose in all it took about a month or so before he would go all night without messing on the floor. And he was probably 4 months old before he was completely house trained.

Merlin is my first puppy as well and I have listened to as much advice as I can and asked questions when I wasn't sure.

Cheers

Martin

thanks martin,

the breeder phoned tonight to see how we were getting on so i told him the situation and like someone said earlier i will try paper in one end of her cage and bed at the other at least it will keep her off the settee,he said one of the main reasons for the runny ones was that where he is situated there is no chlorine in the water but where i stay there is,which makes a diff to the pup.

cheers NCH.