Minor scratches on oiled stock

Sinistercr0c

I'm after advice on how to remove (or minimise the look of) some minor scratches on the stock of my Beretta Silver Pigeon III (Oiled stock). Hopefully the picture gives some indication as to the extent of them (think they are from the zip on my jacket as I raise the gun to fire).

I really don't want to do anything too adventurous, and am hoping someone will have a nice simple remedy.... :yes:

Cheers chaps!

post-18722-1271455342.jpg

Take the stock off, remove the finish, sand and tru oil. In the process of doing a parker hale deluxe and it took one evening of prep and im now in the process of applying the true oil. The kit comes with walnut stain so you can get a lovely deep dark finish before oiling. I am very happy I started mine as it is starting to look great after two coats. JJK shooting supplies are the ones who sold me the kit and its only about 15 quid. Going to do my beretta s686 soon and get the perma blue kit as well to bring it back into shape.

Hi .

No need to be adventurous is all you need is a bit of elbow greese and patience , what you need is a fine scotch bright pad ,{ nylon scourer type you use for washing up . } Raw linseed oil , and a good quality furniture wax .

It would be best to do the whole stock , to get a good even colour , rub down with the scourer wetted in oil , to remove the top surface of old oil , if you need to deep clean oil and grime use a solvent on a rag . Spend a coupe of weeks once a day rubbing down and applying oil , the surface will gradualy become flatter and the oil will take longer to dry as the wood becomes soaked with it . It must be dry each day before applying another coat . Very little oil is requirerd and whenit has finally dried spend another 3 days applying a coat of wax each day , buff with a soft cloth and leave to dry .

The worst that can happen is you waste your time and you can start allover again , every so often give a fresh coat of wax or oil .

Dave

A stock I did a couple of weeks ago .

Before .

Vikersbutt.jpg

After

Vickersrefurbbuttstock.jpg

Edited by Dave 101

Cheers for the replies gents!

Think I might try cosd's tip first - applying some oil to the scratched area and see what the results look like. If its still plainly visible then go with Dave 101's method (that stock does look good mate)

Sorry steve b, I haven't got the b@lls to try your advice (thats the coward in me... :yes: ) I haven't got the confidence to try it, but thanks for the reply.

I'll post up another pic when I've done (so you can all laugh and say its rubbish... :good: )

A tip I got on here that I use all the time for minor scratches that is a simple wipe down with a 50/50 mix tru oil and linseed oil. I tend to use it every time I clean the gun thoroughly! Simples

Gives a nice oil finish not shiney like the pure true oil.