Shooting near a residential area

mart46

I'm sure this has been covered before, but one of my permissions is an old house with 4 - 5 acres of land. He's plagued with rabbits which I dispatch regulary with my air rifle. However, this week he suggested I bring my 12 bore to deal with the wood pigeons. The problem is that on one side of his land there are 6 houses, and the surrounding land is Forestry Commision land. I'm not keen to use the 12 bore as I'm sure the fall out will be beyond his boundry. What would you suggest?

I think noise would be a bigger problem than shot falling on adjoining land, 5 acres is not a large area to absorb the sound of a shotgun, I would suggest that you would definitely receive complaints from the neighbours.

You could invest in a shotgun Hushpower conversion, but that may be a bit OTT.

Unless this chap has a smallholding, the wood pigeons are not going to damage his garden significantly (not like the rabbits will).

This means you could descend into that grey area of are you shooting the pigeons in accordance with the General Licence.

I would try to convince him that you can control the pigeons with your air rifle and don't need the shotgun.

I would try to convince him that you can control the pigeons with your air rifle and don't need the shotgun.

I've been thinking the same. I'm going there tomorrow, so I'll explain the above, and leave the shottie indoors! Thanks

I'm sure this has been covered before, but one of my permissions is an old house with 4 - 5 acres of land. He's plagued with rabbits which I dispatch regulary with my air rifle. However, this week he suggested I bring my 12 bore to deal with the wood pigeons. The problem is that on one side of his land there are 6 houses, and the surrounding land is Forestry Commision land. I'm not keen to use the 12 bore as I'm sure the fall out will be beyond his boundry. What would you suggest?

Be very careful even dispatching them with an air rifle. As has already been mentioned, if there are no crops being damaged, you would have a job on your hands convincing a court of the necessity to kill the birds where something non-lethal would probably do the job in such an area! Make sure you can use the defense of the General Licence before you start shooting...... The bunnies are fine though!

Guest beechris
if the woodies were in abundance, roosting, and fouling areas such as walkways, you could then legally shoot them, as long as all other methods of moving them on had been taken first,

by the way, I have a 410 hushpower :yes:

I would do some roost shooting with your air rifle.