28 Gauge Recipes

Hi all,

I'll be getting a 28 sometime this year, and I'd like to handload for it- both to reduce the cost of cartridges and to increase the variety of loads. My main focus will be clay cartridges- 16 to 21 gram carts for skeet and ESP. But if you have a good game load please enlighten us. The same applies to any non-toxic loads you might have for us- there's a real shortage of these for the 28 bore. (No, it's not the ideal duck gun, and yes, I have other guns better suited to shooting waterfowl. But for completeness- if there is such a word.)

Fibre wad loads would also be very nice to have- got any? Which of the Vectan powders will work best? Floating Chamber recommended Vectan A1-36 in one of his posts- what about Vectan A0? That any good?

And where in the West Country can I get Vectan? I can get Unique and Universal locally (at a price that makes me wince!), but the price of powder does add up.

Finally- anyone have some #8 or 9 shot for sale?

Cheers,

Jakes

The lyman shotshell #5 has some good receipes for american powders ... with lead, steel, and bismuth.

If you want a non-tox contact Ian Charlton at C&G.... he has a 28 bore load with a version of a super-hevi shot that is astounding. (but not cheap!!)

He aslo has the fibre and non-tox wads etc.

Edited by seeker