V-Max Bullet properties

I asked Hornady to explain why the .17 V-Max bullet doesn't tend to ricochet. I'm not for a minute, suggesting it won't, and the possibility must always be considered before pulling the trigger.

This was the reply I got back from the Tech Team:

The core is pure lead and the jacket is very thin. Also there is a hollow cavity below the plastic tip that as the tip starts to push back the air compresses and will blow the jacket open.

I have had a couple ricochet though. They both were very flat shots.

I'm usually easily pleased but I was impressed by this. :hmm:

The other factor to consider is centrifugal force. When the bullet leaves the muzzle even with something like an HMR the bullet is spinning in excess of 150,000 rpm. A 3500fps bullet from a 22-250 with a 1:14" twist is spinning at 180,000rpm. When the bullet impacts with anything solid it starts to open up. The centrifugal forces help to tear the bullet apart. This is why for example Hornady specify a max velocity with the .22 calibre SPSX rounds of 3400fps in a 22-250. If you push them faster than this they may just vanish in a puff of smoke! The average 40gr lead slug from a .22 is spinning at a mere 50,000rpm!