gun storage

steve.britton

hi all

may sound a stupid question.........is it ok to locate a gun safe in an airing cupboard???

thanks

What is in the airing cupboard now? If it's still got a heat source of some sort (boiler, tank or pipes running through it) then I'd steer away from it on the grounds the warmth/dryness can have an adverse effect on your stock etc.

Although there's bound to be somebody who would disagree but that's my twopence worth anyway.

What is in the airing cupboard now? If it's still got a heat source of some sort (boiler, tank or pipes running through it) then I'd steer away from it on the grounds the warmth/dryness can have an adverse effect on your stock etc.

Although there's bound to be somebody who would disagree but that's my twopence worth anyway.

:good:

Wood dont like being close to a heat source and an airing cupboard contains everything.

Guns are OK up to a temperature. Think of a gun in the back of the car on a hot day will hit 30oc no problems or in warmer climates than ours. Check out the temperature of the cupboard.

When I oil the gun stock I put it in the airing cupboard to help dry the oil overnight. I would have thought it is OK.

Guns are OK up to a temperature. Think of a gun in the back of the car on a hot day will hit 30oc no problems or in warmer climates than ours. Check out the temperature of the cupboard.

When I oil the gun stock I put it in the airing cupboard to help dry the oil overnight. I would have thought it is OK.

It's not 'flash' temperature rises such as leaving your gun in the boot of the car on a hot day for a couple of hrs that is the problem. Leaving your gun in a very warm & usually very dry area (such as an airing cupbord) for prolonged periods WILL dry the wood out and it WILL warp. Exactly the same for any wooden musical instrument, too dry & warm is as bad if not worse than too humid.

Edited by Vipa

Yeah, if you take your gun out on a damp day and then leave it in the airing cupboard, you may end up with a warped gun ;)

You can put them in the loft, or inside a cupboard (as long as it can be bolted to the floor)

If you have an old cupboard, just remove the wooden base and drill it to the floor/wall.

Chaps I have genuinely left my SO5 (so not much wood round the head due to the locks) in the car all day with absolutely no problem on a hot day. Needless to say when one of my guns gets wet I dry it overnight before doing anything to it.

How hot do you think a airing cupboard gets 25oc to 30oc max, or am I missing something?

So what happens to guns in warmer climates that regularly hit 30oc plus temperatures?

Chaps I have genuinely left my SO5 (so not much wood round the head due to the locks) in the car all day with absolutely no problem on a hot day. Needless to say when one of my guns gets wet I dry it overnight before doing anything to it.

How hot do you think a airing cupboard gets 25oc to 30oc max, or am I missing something?

So what happens to guns in warmer climates that regularly hit 30oc plus temperatures?

You're missing the point. You can have a hot day, which is humid, which is harmless to a gun stock. An airing cupboard is very warm and has very little air moisture. This is what causes a problem for the wood, over months and years...

You're missing the point. You can have a hot day, which is humid, which is harmless to a gun stock. An airing cupboard is very warm and has very little air moisture. This is what causes a problem for the wood, over months and years...

I get understand your point about long term sustained temperature. As my cabinet is in a normal room I don't have any experience on the long term affect.

My last thought on it would be why the hard wood racking my lovely wife puts the wet washing on now & again is not warped out of shape in our airing cupboard?

I would hate to own a gun in Texas! As long as the airing cupboard can meet the security requirements i see no problem. Airing cupboard should stay similar temp all year round as long as the gun is regularly cleaned and used i cant see the issue (if its too dry just add some water ( a small bowl on the floor)