going for fac

Hi all am thinking of going for an fac 22lr for the rabbits was looking for some advise from you guys, i know about safe backstops and knowing when is best to take a shot and when not to what other questions will i be asked by the feo is there anywhere i can read up on firearms shooting and things i need to know?

i have been air rifle shooting a while and got my sgc in feb but as yet not done anything to do with fac and dont want apply till iam ready any help would great thanks

colin

Well you'll need some land, this will need passing by the local FLO as suitable for LR (if it hasn't been surveyed in the past). Although it doesn't say on the form, they'll usually ask for written permission from the landowner to be included with your form.

You need to apply for moderator separately if you want one (and you should!), they're are also classed as Section 1 if they are to be used on a Section 1 firearm so need to be listed separately on your licence.

Most FLO's will add a condition for expanding (hollow point) ammo if you are going to use it for vermin but it's worth making sure you ask for it on your application. You also have a restriction as to how much ammo you can buy and hold, 1000/1200 or 500/750 are quite common.

Any other stuff you need to know, just ask on here. Gave me all I needed to know when I was applying.

:big_boss:

Well you'll need some land, this will need passing by the local FLO as suitable for LR (if it hasn't been surveyed in the past). Although it doesn't say on the form, they'll usually ask for written permission from the landowner to be included with your form.

You need to apply for moderator separately if you want one (and you should!), they're are also classed as Section 1 if they are to be used on a Section 1 firearm so need to be listed separately on your licence.

Most FLO's will add a condition for expanding (hollow point) ammo if you are going to use it for vermin but it's worth making sure you ask for it on your application. You also have a restriction as to how much ammo you can buy and hold, 1000/1200 or 500/750 are quite common.

Any other stuff you need to know, just ask on here. Gave me all I needed to know when I was applying.

:big_boss:

thanks mate i have got 2000 achres but will mostly use it on local farm which has 900 achre which i have a permission slip for and the farmer is very nice chap and would write out whatever i need his land has been cleared i know his son uses his 17hmr on it, it was more a case of what sort of things they will be asking?

colin

Well they'll typically ask you why you want whatever calibre it is that you're applying for. So for .22LR it's almost a done deal, it's the ultimate bunny rifle.

Some FEO's will want to push you towards HMR as they perceive it safer and it can be a better choice if you have lots of wide open spaces and getting within 60-80 yards of the bunnies is tricky but it is loud so tends to lend itself to long range only. LR is super quiet (cheap to feed too, not that the FEO will consider that a good reason).

Main drawback with LR is it's tendency to ricochet, an HMR bullet shatters on impact so less likely (though not impossible) to richochet. Lamping from a vehicle tends to avoid a lot of this as you're shooting downwards at a steeper angle than shooting prone off a bipod. It's important that you're aware of this and ensure that not just your backstop is safe but a good arc either side of what you're aiming at is also safe.

Edited by Colster

Well they'll typically ask you why you want whatever calibre it is that you're applying for. So for .22LR it's almost a done deal, it's the ultimate bunny rifle.

Some FEO's will want to push you towards HMR as they perceive it safer and it can be a better choice if you have lots of wide open spaces and getting within 60-80 yards of the bunnies is tricky but it is loud so tends to lend itself to long range only. LR is super quiet (cheap to feed too, not that the FEO will consider that a good reason).

Main drawback with LR is it's tendency to ricochet, an HMR bullet shatters on impact so less likely (though not impossible) to richochet. Lamping from a vehicle tends to avoid a lot of this as you're shooting downwards at a steeper angle than shooting prone off a bipod. It's important that you're aware of this and ensure that not just your backstop is safe but a good arc either side of what you're aiming at is also safe.

was hoping to go for lr as most of shooting will be between 50 and 80 yards out it was also a case of noise as on the farm they tend to be small areas with large numbers of bunnies thaught with the hmr you will get the 1st bunnie but the rest will soon leg it

colin

was hoping to go for lr as most of shooting will be between 50 and 80 yards out it was also a case of noise as on the farm they tend to be small areas with large numbers of bunnies thaught with the hmr you will get the 1st bunnie but the rest will soon leg it

colin

the thing with the hmr is that the noise cannot be pinpointed by rabbits..shot many rabbits close to each other at the range you mention.

they look up,whats that after their mate falls and you then get the next one,while it is figuring it out.

al

the thing with the hmr is that the noise cannot be pinpointed by rabbits..shot many rabbits close to each other at the range you mention.

they look up,whats that after their mate falls and you then get the next one,while it is figuring it out.

al

must admit have shot rabbits with the shotgun only for his mate sat next to him to stay put. what sort of noise dose the hmr make (and dont say bang ha ha)is it on a parr with the shottie and dose it carry far?

colin

Edited by colin lad

must admit have shot rabbits with the shotgun only for his mate sat next to him to stay put. what sort of noise dose the hmr make (and dont say bang ha ha)is it on a parr with the shottie and dose it carry far?

colin

get a ruler and lay it on a flat surface,hold it down firmly at one end and with the other hand,grab the other end and lift it up about 6 inches.

let it go and that is the sort of noise you will hear.

quieter than a shottie with the silencer and less kick.

the noise is over quite quickly and trees around echo the sound,so hard to give a defintive answer to the second question.

al

Edited by albob

get a ruler and lay it on a flat surface,hold it down firmly at one end and with the other hand,grab the other end and lift it up about 6 inches.

let it go and that is the sort of noise you will hear.

quieter than a shottie with the silencer and less kick.

the noise is over quite quickly and trees around echo the sound,so hard to give a defintive answer to the second question.

al

what sort of money are they to feed is there much difference between lr and hmr?:)

colin

what sort of money are they to feed is there much difference between lr and hmr?:)

colin

yes,22lr cheaper but for hmr their are blue tips out their which are £10 for 50,where as say for remingtons,they are £13.45 for 50.

22lr remingtons were £6 for 100.

al

yes,22lr cheaper but for hmr their are blue tips out their which are £10 for 50,where as say for remingtons,they are £13.45 for 50.

22lr remingtons were £6 for 100.

al

Thats expensive al! I've just stocked up on 400 remington for £98.

As al has said, I;ve had no trouble shooting many buns with the .17, they don't tend to run off. I just can't use a 22lr on my land, its lethal.

Apply for both, even FAC air (I love mine, taken over the lr role) .22lr and .17hmr.

Thats expensive al! I've just stocked up on 400 remington for £98.

As al has said, I;ve had no trouble shooting many buns with the .17, they don't tend to run off. I just can't use a 22lr on my land, its lethal.

Apply for both, even FAC air (I love mine, taken over the lr role) .22lr and .17hmr.

very true but,i ended up not paying for them.so very cheap.

i did buy 500 lapua for £48..so cheap for them,which makes the remingtons expensive.

al

Edited by albob

very true but,i ended up not paying for them.so very cheap.

i did buy 500 lapua for £48..so cheap for them,which makes the remingtons expensive.

al

Even better then, free ammo must shoot so much better!

I never tried lapua ammo, they should make a reassuringly expensive hmr.

the more i read the more harder it is to choose which one think like you say apply for both do i need to apply for 2 mods one for each?

colin

Hi Colin, to save you money apply for FAC air (of what calibre you choose), .22lr and .17, you have to apply for mods on every firearm, so list..

.XX air rifle with mod

.22lr with mod

.17hmr with mod

Reasons, pest control and hearing protection, although I put no reason to wanting a mod and they were granted.

FAC air for use around noise sensitive areas and up trees.

.22lr for vermin where you are unlikely to kill anyone or domestic animals from riqochet

.17hmr for longer range vermin

They can only say no to whatever depending on your land survey, and it costs you nothing.

My FEO preferred me to have the hmr before the .22.

just ask for both .22 and .17.hmr. .22 for vermin control and hmr for longer range vermin control. at the very worst they will say no to hmr but cant see that happening since you got the land which is cleared anyway. they can only say that you have no need for the hmr. you dont know untill u ask you'll probally be plesently surprised.

all the best

the more i read the more harder it is to choose which one think like you say apply for both do i need to apply for 2 mods one for each?

colin

as kyska says.

it is only difficult if you have not tried the rifles you are wanting.

if you apply for the 2 stated,you can then try them and decide which suits you and your shooting ground.

only one mod foe each rifle you apply for.

are you not wanting the hmr?

Even better then, free ammo must shoot so much better!

I never tried lapua ammo, they should make a reassuringly expensive hmr.

the lapua were supposed to be the dearer option but,they were not that good in my cz.(they were for the 22lr :lol: :lol: ).sp 500 had to be used. :good:

al

Edited by albob

Hi Colin, to save you money apply for FAC air (of what calibre you choose), .22lr and .17, you have to apply for mods on every firearm, so list..

.XX air rifle with mod

.22lr with mod

.17hmr with mod

Reasons, pest control and hearing protection, although I put no reason to wanting a mod and they were granted.

FAC air for use around noise sensitive areas and up trees.

.22lr for vermin where you are unlikely to kill anyone or domestic animals from riqochet

.17hmr for longer range vermin

They can only say no to whatever depending on your land survey, and it costs you nothing.

My FEO preferred me to have the hmr before the .22.

Just to clarify, mods have to be applied for as a separate item so it would be:

.xx air rifle - I'd suggest .22 or .25

Mod for Air Rifle

.22 LR

Moderator for .22LR

.17HMR

Moderator for HMR

The noise for HMR is ok if you're shooting at 80-150 yards as the rabbits will hear it but it'll will be too far away for them to instantly associate it with danger. An LR going off 30-40 yards from them is just as likely to scatter them anyway.

Hi,sorry to jump in but you have answered a lot of questions i have going round in my head,have applied for .22lr,.17hmr,.223 all with mods,have put land owner on form (1000 acres)and have a total of 6000 acres along with small padocks/commercial orchards etc.

although i have asked for 22/17 i only want one of them,have considered the following in trying to make my mind up;

.22 richochet,good fit,like shooting this.cheap ammo,quiet (paddocks),range 80 yrds enough(sold AA 410 60yrd and quiet)

.17 no ricochet,expensive ammo,could i use on ALL my permissions including the small ones,range 100yrd+

.223,fox and muntjac deer,along with one of the above this is the other rifle i want.

application went off six weeks ago :good:

ATB

Karl

Hi,sorry to jump in but you have answered a lot of questions i have going round in my head,have applied for .22lr,.17hmr,.223 all with mods,have put land owner on form (1000 acres)and have a total of 6000 acres along with small padocks/commercial orchards etc.

although i have asked for 22/17 i only want one of them,have considered the following in trying to make my mind up;

.22 richochet,good fit,like shooting this.cheap ammo,quiet (paddocks),range 80 yrds enough(sold AA 410 60yrd and quiet)

.17 no ricochet,expensive ammo,could i use on ALL my permissions including the small ones,range 100yrd+

.223,fox and muntjac deer,along with one of the above this is the other rifle i want.

ATB

Karl

if you can get them all go for it. i thought id stick with my .223 and lr but then got an hmr and found it to be very very effective. i take the .22 and hmr out bunny bashing and if i happen on a fox i can take it down with the hmr aswell as get those lamp weary long ranger bunnies.

good luck hope this helps

as kyska says.

it is only difficult if you have not tried the rifles you are wanting.

if you apply for the 2 stated,you can then try them and decide which suits you and your shooting ground.

only one mod foe each rifle you apply for.

are you not wanting the hmr?

the lapua were supposed to be the dearer option but,they were not that good in my cz.(they were for the 22lr :lol: :lol: ).sp 500 had to be used. :good:

al

was only thinking 22lr as the shop where i get my guns reckons they are the ideal bunny basher and its all i would need for what i want but thats just one persons opinion thought if i put it on here i would get more ideas

colin

ATB

Karl

you do not need to mention price of ammo,as that is not a good reason.

the ricochet debate..no need to mention this,until the interview and just mention you are aware of the 22lr ricocheting and does happen by acute angle or type of ground you shoot on.

the .17hmr has been known to ricochet,so do not rule it out.rarely happens though.

both guns have a place(22l and hmr)and only you can decide that on the land you have.i personally would go for both and then you can drop any you feel are not up to the job.

al

Edited by albob

was only thinking 22lr as the shop where i get my guns reckons they are the ideal bunny basher and its all i would need for what i want but thats just one persons opinion thought if i put it on here i would get more ideas

colin

pity you was not close to me and i would be then able to show how good a bunny gun the hmr can be.

i use mine a lot(the 22lr does have a place on shoots,so is not ruled out).it is the main choice for bunnies and has taken many bunnies and the 22lr would not get the same number on this shoot,though if i sat and waited it would still take out a few rabbits,so it is not left in the cabinet.

always best to ask and get many different replies and then judge for youself.not easy to give specific help,ony advice.

al