Avenged the pet duck.

gibby

Starts off as a sad story. We started incubating eggs 8 years ago. Out of the first batch we tried, only one came out, Charlotte the miniture Silver Appleyard. She'd been around for 8 years swimming on the pond, wandering the gardens, until 2 weeks ago one night, when she was locked up in her pen. Some how, a fox had managed to drag her under her pen which was raised an inch or 2 off the ground for drainage. Needless to say an upset for the whole family. So the mission was on to try and dish some revenge.

I had a walk of the fields to look for some fresh paths and tracks, and to have a look for where the fox was coming in from. After having a walk around I decided the best bet was to set up a high seat to get a better point of view as the land is sloped and it gave me a better back stop.

post-1764-1273525987.jpg

The tower puts me 15 foot high with a brilliant view. This is before the boards and padding had gone down.

6 evenings on the trott, from 18:00 till dark, sitting on top of my tower trying to get a peek of him... nothing. A week after the death, I get my first sighting. Unfortunately no safe shot so was left for another evening. Popped out this evening to give it another shot, perfect conditions, the sun was down so no glare down the scope, a small breeze in my face. Success, a dog fox at 78 yards between the eyes.

Having a collection of Pintails, Mandarins and god knows what else, makes you sleep easier knowing there's one less.

post-1764-1273526061.jpg

Gibby

Starts off as a sad story. We started incubating eggs 8 years ago. Out of the first batch we tried, only one came out, Charlotte the miniture Silver Appleyard. She'd been around for 8 years swimming on the pond, wandering the gardens, until 2 weeks ago one night, when she was locked up in her pen. Some how, a fox had managed to drag her under her pen which was raised an inch or 2 off the ground for drainage. Needless to say an upset for the whole family. So the mission was on to try and dish some revenge.

I had a walk of the fields to look for some fresh paths and tracks, and to have a look for where the fox was coming in from. After having a walk around I decided the best bet was to set up a high seat to get a better point of view as the land is sloped and it gave me a better back stop.

post-1764-1273525987.jpg

The tower puts me 15 foot high with a brilliant view. This is before the boards and padding had gone down.

6 evenings on the trott, from 18:00 till dark, sitting on top of my tower trying to get a peek of him... nothing. A week after the death, I get my first sighting. Unfortunately no safe shot so was left for another evening. Popped out this evening to give it another shot, perfect conditions, the sun was down so no glare down the scope, a small breeze in my face. Success, a dog fox at 78 yards between the eyes.

Having a collection of Pintails, Mandarins and god knows what else, makes you sleep easier knowing there's one less.

post-1764-1273526061.jpg

Gibby

yep he aint going to be eating anymore ducks well done and sorry for your loss :big_boss: