New Gun

kyska

Hi All,

Well I've completed (up to now) my gun cabinet, collected my Beretta 686 20 bore today :oops: .

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of having to option to set the gun to fire only on barrel?

Also, does anyone know if there is any good reason not to shoot clays over growing crops, is it likely to damage machinery etc?

I ask as we have also invested in a clay trap, I don't want to use the pasture land for claying, once the first havest is done it won't be a problem as the clay will be ploughed into the ground.

Kyska

Edited by kyska

Is it not the barrel selector your thinking of?

it doesnt give you the option of firing one barrel only but which one first......

ie 1 dot - bottom barrel first

2 dots top barrel first

as for the clay question, Bywell up here is a premier registered ground and they shoot clays over crops so i cant see a problem with myself

but someone with better knowledge might be along soon

shaun

Thanks mate, it most likely is, I'm new to the shotgun thing. Thanks.

Is it not the barrel selector your thinking of?

it doesnt give you the option of firing one barrel only but which one first......

ie 1 dot - bottom barrel first

2 dots top barrel first

as for the clay question, Bywell up here is a premier registered ground and they shoot clays over crops so i cant see a problem with myself

but someone with better knowledge might be along soon

shaun

Thanks guys,

Another question....

Why would I want to change the barrel choice?

Its fixed at 1/4 and 1/2.

If your shooting going away birds you want to shoot 1/4 then 1/2 so you will be using the tighter choke when its further away (if you miss with the first shot). To be honest its best not to worry to much, you're more likely to miss if your fiddling with the barrel selector.

Yup,

its a case of shooting the nearest bird first (1/4 choke) then either if you miss or another bird presents itself a bit further away you have a tighter pattern to shoot with...

clay shooting......some targets need a tighter choke on the first bird so use the top barrel first...

hope it helps

shaun

To be fair just ignore the fact you've got it. Most single trigger guns have them but they're not worth the hassle. You'll not hit any more by fiddling around, and then if you miss you'll be blaming it. "I missed that because I had this barrel first blah blah". Best just to leave and shoot stuff.