quick update on my progress

chris o

well i think i have finally manged to get the hang of the basics a long with some other bits.

he is incredably steady will retrieve his rabbit skin dummy no problem i even tried him with a cold rabbit and a pigeon with no problems. he is is 9 month old. he follows all my hand signals very well. not perfect but i think rather reasonable for his age i have been doing blind retrieves and throwing 2 retrieves one to either side and sending him on to the first retrieve sitting then on to the second with no major problems just the little mistakes you expect to start with with this type of retrieve and hunts the ground very well.

i was suppose to take him to some trainning classes but when i managed to stop the problem myself i didnt bother. when do you guys think i should give him his first introduction to gun shot? i have been clapping my hands to simulate gun shot since he was 10 weeks mainly while feeding. but when do you suggest would be best for me to take him out with a mate and fire a few shots to see how he is? the clapping hands he never has flinched or acted worried about he just starts looking around and have started working on dropping to the sound of a clap with very slow progress. and i am still bearing in mind he is only 9 month and still a pup. so i still play with him a lot and spend many a hour in the pen with him having a play and basic commands to sit mainly. how do you guys think things are going for me so far in your honest opinions? if you think i am still going to fast please say so so i can correct my self before i mess things up. i hope you have enjoyed reading this and please leave your feed back for me to read.

thanks in advance. :good:

Chris mate, a few people I know use starter pistols, I think they are fairly cheap to buy.

I learned mine by going to claygrounds, keeping them on a lead at a fair distance, gradually moving a little closer each time I went.

Good luck with the dog sounds like its doing ok, at this stage.

Dave.

hi chris

sounds like your doing well with him, mines also nine months and i have used ta starting pistol and also cut down some 12 gauge cartridges so as just leaving the primers in ,when fired they just crack a little like the starting pistol,thing is starting pistols are a more conveinent way as you dont have to find a place where you can take the shotgun,i have been using the pistol on fields bordering my house and have talked to the other residents to explain what i'm doing and so far had no problems regarding the police etc. i started by firing the pistol at random while he was out in front and no problems gradualy getting closer to the stage where he can now sit by me and i fire the pistol in the air above him and no problems at all,you can get long and short blanks so by starting with the short ones with the quieter report then progress onto the louder long ones,my pistol cost £32 and was money well spent,i know i need to get him onto full shot but feel that to introduce things slow and gradual is the way to go ,any advice would be wellcome on this :good: : good luck with the training best regards terry :good:

I think your doing a great job. My lab is 9 months old and way behind compared to yours. He has just been on a training day and althgough some of his basic retreiving was ok

he gets far too excited around other dogs and continually whined and moved around, wanting to play and chase everything.

Any tips on stopping this behavior would be great as it was very embarassing and getting on everyones nerves not least mine.

Didnt want to hijack your thread but as we have similar aged dogs Id thought you would have some tips.

he gets far too excited around other dogs and continually whined and moved around, wanting to play and chase everything.

Any tips on stopping this behavior would be great as it was very embarassing and getting on everyones nerves not least mine.

I would say the best way to stop this behaviour would be to go along to as many classes like that as possible to make it not so unusual for him to be around other dogs in that environment.

My Lab is the quietest dog at home, but once the gun comes out and we're stood at a peg, he's a different dog and starts trying to run around etc. The only way I've found is to keep doing it until the excitement just isn't there any more.

Chris, sounds like yours is coming along nicely, gunshot is definitely the next step, but take it steady and if there's any sign of fear or uncertainty then just go back a few steps.

ATB

Chris - sounds great mate, well done.

Shot is the next step and now he is a very keen retriever you can lay off it a bit and concentrate on getting him hunting hard but close to you. Do the retrieves as separate exercise a couple of times a week only.

Intro to shot about now is absolutely fine. You can start with a cap gun, then use a starter pistol before going to a shotgun. Initially always give him a retrieve after the shot, so he associates the bang with his reward. If you can work with a mate and start with the bang at distance before moving him closer and closer depending on the dog's reaction that is ideal.

Once you have him used to shot you can introduce it when he's hunting to get him stopping to shot and the site of a thrown dummy without the need for the whistle, and don't give him every retrieve or he'll end up running in on shot because he knows there is a retrieve for him somewhere.

As always, you may need to go back a bit now and again and keep going over the basics so they don't get lost in the more complicated stuff. The next 6 - 9 months with your consistent approach will be the making of your dog.

I think your doing a great job. My lab is 9 months old and way behind compared to yours. He has just been on a training day and althgough some of his basic retreiving was ok

Didnt want to hijack your thread but as we have similar aged dogs Id thought you would have some tips.

i have this problem sometimes aswel pal not so much now that he is a bit older but i still have it every now and then but he will come back after the second time of calling him as he knows he will be reprimanded if he does not but i try to mix him around other dogs as much as possible but i try to avoid staffs rottys and known aggressive dogs as much as possible though so if he one turns he does not start thinking all dogs are bad and aggressive. he is very boys tress though so if he hassles a older dog i pull him away as quickly as possible but i guess the best tip is keep getting him around other dogs and if need be keep him on his lead so you have full control over the dog.

back to my post though. i can get hold of a starters pistol from my dad and when i go on to shotgun fire i know people who will fire shot for me while i keep control and watch him on the lead. i am made up with his progress and cant wait till the season starts as i have just got myself some beating and would love to get him working there picking up and beating. any tips on how to start him off on his first beating trip or any thing i should do or be-aware of when i take him?