Advice needed for shooting in woods /pasture

james s

I’m just getting into pigeon shooting and am looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve done a couple of days whereby I turned up ad everything was supplied, including the expertise!, but a friend has secured permission to undertake vermin control (pigeons and rabbits) an I am wondering how to tackle it

Its a 5 acre wood which backs into the road onto pasture on two sides. The other two sides are a road and the farmhouse, so we can only shoot in two directions.

Is it still worth an attempt at decoying the pigeons onto open pasture, assuming we set up the hide from the margins of the wood, or is this method restricted to crop fields and stubble.

Alternatively how might we tackle shooting them in the woods?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

shooting in the woods is a good idea- if you can find out where they roost- sit it out late evening and wait for them to fly in to roost for the night -some good sport can be had

On the pastures- be difficult if there is no food source- and its not under a flight line- go and sit for a while early morning- see where they are flying to and from- set up your hide on the woods edge and as close under this flight line as you can get- set out a few deeks and hey presto- dead woodies

Good luck

Les :good:

As has already been said and also have a look on the ground under the trees for droppings you will soon know if they are roosting in the woods,then all you need to do is assertain which direction they are coming in from,find a clear shot line in the woods and wait for the fun to begin and dont take your eyes off the tree tops in all directions because they always come in when you are not looking :good:

A small 5 acre piece of woodland can be magic to shoot . I would get in the middle of the copse and you should be able to have a shot at just about all the birds that come in . It will shoot better if there is a decent wind . You need to stand with the wind to your back as the pigeons will want to land in the trees into the wind . I have a similer small copse on one of my farms and I have shot thousands of pigeons in there over the years . You want to check out and see if they are using the wood for a daytime sit up . Good luck .

Harnser .

I’m just getting into pigeon shooting and am looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve done a couple of days whereby I turned up ad everything was supplied, including the expertise!, but a friend has secured permission to undertake vermin control (pigeons and rabbits) an I am wondering how to tackle it

Its a 5 acre wood which backs into the road onto pasture on two sides. The other two sides are a road and the farmhouse, so we can only shoot in two directions.

Is it still worth an attempt at decoying the pigeons onto open pasture, assuming we set up the hide from the margins of the wood, or is this method restricted to crop fields and stubble.

Alternatively how might we tackle shooting them in the woods?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

by all means decoy them on pasture if the birds are on the clover i do from time to time. a bit of advice if cattle are using said fields use fibre wads they can be digested. plastic wads can;t if taken in by cattle when feeding on the grass when you have left