If I ever need cheering up

Boromir

That's pretty cool. I remember watching one take off at Lakenheath (the day the Vampire and Meteor collided mid-air) and was literally blown away by the noise, power and awesome rate of climb.

I remember that. Thought it was Mildenhall though. :rolleyes:

Shame they stopped the shows, absolutely fantastic day out.

was at woodford when the spitfire hit the runway.can remember the battle of britain flyover in manchester when they opened the science museium.i was at work on the golf course when they came over very low line abreast.great sight but the noise was awsome.had a vulcan do the same thing and that brought the place to a stand still.saw the last flight of shackletons go over as well.

I had the pleasure of working on the Vulcans on 35 Sqn at Scampton, I was also at RAF Gutersloh in the early 70's when 19 and 92 Sqn Lightings were there, awesome bits of kit.

I also worked on the Shackletons and was one of the groundcrew who saw off the last Shackleton from St Mawgan when the Nimrods came in in 1971.

Christ I'm going all nostalgic just thinking about them, 30.000 rivets flying in reasonably close formation.

Some of you may not know that the Mark 3 Shackleton actually had 6 engines, 4 Griffon 57's and 2 Viper Gas turbines slung below and behing the outboard engines.

That's pretty cool. I remember watching one take off at Lakenheath (the day the Vampire and Meteor collided mid-air) and was literally blown away by the noise, power and awesome rate of climb.

One of my grandfather's did not feature in the war because he had a prosthetic leg, the other served on quite a few campaigns and I remember him telling me how he shot a Junkers (forget model) down over Dover. Everyone else cheered as it hit the ground; he told me he puked.

A couple of years ago, i went to a day at Bruntinford (?) near leicester where a mate was running Hartge tuned cars from his comapany against 70/80's fighters, even with only one engine running the lightning aced the lot, but a hartge work mini cooper beat a bucaneer!

The SL500 (tuned, not the **** AMG version) beat most of them though. Got some video clips on another PC, i'll post them here when i get a chance.

I do have some great photos of the old fella running up the steps of a 56 sdqn lightning with afterburners lit along with some nose mounted cine film of a lightning on a straffing run over the norfolk coast!

I had the pleasure of working on the Vulcans on 35 Sqn at Scampton, I was also at RAF Gutersloh in the early 70's when 19 and 92 Sqn Lightings were there, awesome bits of kit.

I also worked on the Shackletons and was one of the groundcrew who saw off the last Shackleton from St Mawgan when the Nimrods came in in 1971.

Christ I'm going all nostalgic just thinking about them, 30.000 rivets flying in reasonably close formation.

Some of you may not know that the Mark 3 Shackleton actually had 6 engines, 4 Griffon 57's and 2 Viper Gas turbines slung below and behing the outboard engines.

You were probably at Gutersloh when the old man and Ric Groombridge were there then with 19. Later there was a shackleton parked at RAF Valley, originally for fire training but the old fella was the CO and he refused to let them set fire to it! When we were at Scampton, they parked a Vulcan there for no apparent reason, massive beautiful things, i was always told not to go near it when we were shooting the airfield!

AB

A couple of years ago, i went to a day at Bruntinford (?) near leicester where a mate was running Hartge tuned cars from his comapany against 70/80's fighters, even with only one engine running the lightning aced the lot, but a hartge work mini cooper beat a bucaneer!

The SL500 (tuned, not the **** AMG version) beat most of them though. Got some video clips on another PC, i'll post them here when i get a chance.

I do have some great photos of the old fella running up the steps of a 56 sdqn lightning with afterburners lit along with some nose mounted cine film of a lightning on a straffing run over the norfolk coast!

I stand corrected, it was a hunter not a Bucc, they couldnt get the bucc started!