RED KEN

Highlander

Just when you thought we’d seen the back of the ‘loony left’ this crops up... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10201412.stm

I’m prepared to admit that politics is starting to look interesting again :P No I’m not considering becoming a candidate but what with Nick Clegg’s reform speech and Theresa May’s about police targets and all their other stuff if they mean what they say and can carry it through they’ll continue to get my backing. :good:

I know its early days but I like the sound of this new government despite the odd hiccup i.e. David (nice boy) Laws. ;) You have to admit it’s a long long way from what we’ve been used too!

True enough.... but I am not sure that red Ken is the way forward for London....I think the Labour party are truly lost here. Old labour is unelectable in the modern age and New Labour are discredited. We live in interesting times I think.

But wasn't it ken who introduced the congestion charge? Who did that help? It certainly put the cost of transport up, and the price of services from people who go into the City to maintain and repair London. I fail to see how that helps your average Joe, who's rates go up to pay for it.

True though, interesting things are beginning to unfold.

I still find it hard to get my head around the way each successive Government introduces new ways of taking our money, or putting prices up to "help us". I am convinced that this will be the scenario. Price CUTS will help more people.

What happened to the "fair deal on fuel" campaign not so long ago? It's now over £5 a gallon.

Wish I knew the answer. Everything keeps going up and my wages have come down, and I have to do longer hours for it too.

On a personal note here, I am really getting jarred off with what is happening to Great Britain. The fun has been taken out of most everything with all this legislation, and this new pay to work culture, all those bits of paper you need now to do work you have been doing these last 30 years without them.

I'm seriously contemplating buying a rubber dinghy and moving to Somalia to capture and ransom tankers for a living. Put a bit of excitement back into working and life in general.

Obviously I don't know what it is like for people living in London but on Saturday I had cause to go down to Westminster.

Down to King's Cross, one change on the underground took me to within 200yds of where I needed to be.

I left Westminster at 17.30 and got to King's Cross at 17.50. Got a train at 18.10 and was home before 19.30.

All this, including the Underground for £14.50 with a Network railcard.

Some things are being done right transport wise. :no:

True enough.... but I am not sure that red Ken is the way forward for London....I think the Labour party are truly lost here. Old labour is unelectable in the modern age and New Labour are discredited. We live in interesting times I think.

I wouldn't write them off. Voters demonstrate time and again just how fickle they are and how short memories can be. There's always a next generation coming along for whom history has no relevance and for whom the incumbent is always the enemy whilst the fresh, young thing promising 'change' and something 'new' is the saviour. And so we go round again.

Obviously I don't know what it is like for people living in London but on Saturday I had cause to go down to Westminster.

Down to King's Cross, one change on the underground took me to within 200yds of where I needed to be.

I left Westminster at 17.30 and got to King's Cross at 17.50. Got a train at 18.10 and was home before 19.30.

All this, including the Underground for £14.50 with a Network railcard.

Some things are being done right transport wise. :good:

Just don't try it in the rush hour.

The tube system is creaking under the strain of age and over-use. I use the Circle line daily and it's frequently delayed, overcrowded, full of smelly chavs, etc. For this I pay £126 per week. But it's generally quicker than road transport, which is delayed due to the never-ending road works.

On the plus side, it's not in Scotland, so I won't top myself just yet