2 out lamping during the week....

gary29428

We were out last Monday night for 1.5hrs where we got 2, both head shots. First at 90yrds and the second about 150yrds, seen a couple more. The first rifle is a BRNO hornet which we use for the fox, the second is a BRNO 22lr just in case we see a few rabbits. Nice calm night so out to 150yrds head shots are no problem, in a wind or outside 150 it's a chest shot.

100_0401.jpg

well done mate :lol:

but personaly i would NEVER go for head shots unless it was with the rimmy @>20yds

you could blow the foxes muzzel away and be left with one seriously injured fox that has done one, only to die in agony some where :*) :*)

i hit them in the boiler room every time no matter what the distance weather conditions etc etc :lol::lol:

but again nice shooting mate well done...............

Fair point Tommy, have been taking head shots for quite a while now and have never had a need for a second shot, but I can see were you are coming from. Maybe a change in my habbits is called for, the last thing I would want is a wounded fox getting away to die later. Chest it is from now on. I seem to remember a while back you posted some fox calling sounds on here from the fox whistle, I have one and have been using it a lot without much success. Do you have any advise on how to use it.

Well done Gary. :lol: As Tommy said, boiler rooms are more safe. :lol:

I myself take head shots from time to time, depending on the situation, sometimes all you can see is the foxes head peeping out and he will not budge. Saying this, if he was more than 80yds, i would restrain and try to shift him, not allways easy on a stuborn fox. :lol:

Anyway, great photo, nice rifles, how do you find the Bi-pods? I was thinking of putting one on my CZ Brno .223. :lol:

I personnally think the BI-pod is absolutly essential, the one on the hornet sits perfectly on the roof of the jeep and we stand on the foot rails. Sometimes if the ground is uneven were we have stopped we lie across the bonnet. In the photo there are 2 heights, the one on the hornet is a 6-9in model and the one on the 22lr is a 13-23in model. Both are made by harris. I have a longer one on the 22lr because I use the rifle on rabbit and will out walking can get into a sitting position and have the gun supported rock steady. Both pods will cost about 270euro here, I got them both in Cabelas in the US for $56 each. I am going back over there in January with work and will pick one up for you if you want, I can then post it down to you. The Cass Creek caller you bought is there for $21, that's about 17euro. I saw them in the UK for 40stg. Last time over there in June I spent $700 in a few hours, the place is incredible. If I bought the same stuff over here (if you could get it) you would be talking 2 or 3 grand.

Thats Cheap. :lol: So how much would i have to pay you for a 6 - 9 model Gary if you got one in the states in Euro's?

How far does the 6-9 extend to, if its possible, could you post a pic of the 6-9 and how far it extends ect, on your Hornet, as my .223 is exactly the same model as your Hornet, so i will have some sort of idea. Thanks by the way for the offer.

If its too much trouble to post pics in various extensions of the 6-9, then it does not matter. :lol:

I got a quote from a place for 115 Euro for the harris over here, expensive to say the least. :lol:

Edited by Frank

How far does the 6-9 extend to, if its possible, could you post a pic of the 6-9 and how far it extends ect, on your Hornet, as my .223 is exactly the same model as your Hornet, so i will have some sort of idea.

Frank,

If you scroll back to the pictures of my CZ that has a Harris 9-13 (non swivel) on it.

If they have gone I will post them up again.

The 6-9 is more of bench rest height.

the only problem I have found with the 527 is that the fore end is so thin they tend to come undone quite easily.

And they extend to,

wait for it .

From 6" to 9" :lol:

Edited by stuartp

Actually Frank I have a spare 6-9" non swivel Harris bi-pod, it was on my 22lr until I put the big one on. It's practically brand new, if you are interested you can have it for 60euro all in (incl post). In it's normal position it has a height of 6" and extended 9". I'll take a few picks over the weekend, send me an e-mail if yo uare interested. I can send it down and if you like you can send the few pound up, if not just send the pod back, no worries.

Buy it Frank! it wouldn't hurt to give it a try anyway.

We can get fixed Harris's for about £49 and swivel for about £64 in England, but I understand stuff is a lot dearer for you over there :thumbs:

They add about 12 onces to the front end of a rifle, I found that particulary noticable of the CZ, as it is so light, but I hardly noticed it on my Tikka as it weighs a ton anyway!

I don't want to ruin a sale, but I would say the 9-13 swivel as the best all round hunting bipod.

I also have a 13 to 23 (?) Harris copy but I don't use that much as it is a bit floppy. I bought some adjustable sticks recenly so I will use those in the future if I need support shooting over long grass.

Edited by stuartp

Well after all the thinking i did about the harris bi pod, i went mad this afternoon and got one. It is brand new and its a 9-13, non swivel. Got it for a discount at 100 euro, which is cheap over here i can tell you. So im well chuffed. :thumbs:

Also got a Parker hale Mod which i just got a permit for, for my CZ .22lr. :lol: