Steel pigeon cartridges

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steel 3# are big on pigeon most factory ammo marked up as a 3# is 3.5mm not 3.3mm a steel 5# is 3mm same as a 4# in lead and a steel 4# is 3.25mm so your always one size bigger in steel which can make a big drop in pellet count an oz of 3mm is just over 240 an oz of 3.25mm is down to aprox 190 thats a big gap if you trying to put 140 hits on that 30" circle? iv noticed before that basc dont pick up on this

I think you may have misinterpreted the point i was trying to make steel and lead are not size for size gamebore remington express and winchester all load a steel 3# at 3.5-3.6mm a uk lead 5# is 2.8mm thats a shot size jump of three sizes not two and a lead 5# pellet count of 220 and a steel 3# pellet count of 155

do not show a ballistic parity

:hmm:

Guest cookoff013
:hmm::hmm: uk steel 4#3.25mm us steel 5# 3.00mm :lol:

:lol::lol: uk lead 4# 3mm us lead 5# 3mm :lol:

the data i got from express cartridges, i cut open a #4 cartridge, counted 240pellets in 1oz

my lyman 5th shotshell said, #240pellets per oz for steel 5. (i counted 242)

i couldnt mesure the diameter, thats why i went for shotcount per oz.

No idea. Never tried them. I don't think they would rattle my fillings as much though.

Fair comment.

Just wondered, as so many on here seem to advocate there use on live quarry. My suspicion is that it's all down to saving a couple of quid.

Interesting though that using the correct size steel cartridge has no financial benefit.

I am guessing you are reloading your own at that sort of speep Cookoff. Its high time UK cartridge makers got their act togeather and used standard shot sizes and gave detailson the box of pellet speed and pressures , veloicity so on. Most UK cartridge makers use UK sizes for lead , but US sizes for steel. After all if you buy a tin of beans it gives you all the ingredents , E numbers and all. And a tin of beans is not going to blow your head off.